Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SpaceX going around the Moon

Ags

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a little taken aback to hear on this news story.
Without sounding obvious that's next year!? I would be very surprised if it actually launched next year, Musk is famous for his over ambitious deadlines. What is it Mars in the next 8 years? What concerns me the most is the returned journey, from the promotional video it appears that they are going for a full controlled rocket landing, not the traditional splash down. Though perhaps wisely a unmanned flight is planned first.

Anyway I think this is a good thing though I understand the original posters concerns about the reasons. My take on it is if it encourages other companies and members of the public to embrace space travel / science then that's a good thing.
Lets be honest its rare at the moment to get a positive news story that brings hope and anticipation.

Trying to find the info now, but the recent Falcon CRS10 mission was the first to have autonomous onboard management of the launch systems, so SpaceX seem to be ahead with the necessary AI for this type of commercial/passenger-carrying flight - no mention of a pilot to fly this cruise?  Wondering if the announcement and plan is a response or prompt to NASA now evaluating a crewed test for the SLS/Orion first launch in 2018.

I have doubts over the timescale of Musks' plans for this flight and Mars landing, but as a child who watched the lunar landings in awe/excitement I expected this to be norm long before now...

4 hours ago, Droogie 2001 said:

Lets be honest its rare at the moment to get a positive news story that brings hope and anticipation.

Reminded it was 1968(!) that all this happened before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_8 (Borman, Lovell & Anders)
And I remember having a quiet moment of contemplation
and wonder with my Granddad (d.o.b. 1884!) about it. ;)

Of course Grandma told us she "Couldn't see the point"!
BUT I think "we" knew what such things were about... :p
I not so sure that the RISK is that much greater now?

Sadly not a billionaire (that brave?) - But still wonder. :D

Its not my idea of a pleasure trip, I get that sinking feeling just looking at  roller-coasters, but that view would be to die for, if you excuse the expression. The ultimate clear skies trip. Thoughts of a suitable grab 'n' go is interesting - I wonder what the luggage allowance would be?  Would Space X accept Visa or PayPal?

I thought this sounded like a risky and stupid thing for Musk to do...

I'm reminded of the maiden voyage of the R.M.S. Titanic: All the richest, wealthiest slobs clamored to be on board that venture. And it plowed into an iceberg and sank - killing scores of the 'billionaires' of the day.

Maybe this gambit by Musk isn't such a bad idea after all.....

Hmmm.....

Dave

11 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Can I pick the crew?

Seriously though - sounds like a publicity stunt. I'd be stunned if anything of the sort happens between now and 2020, especially involving paying (billionaire) customers. I don't know how much it costs to insure a Gates, an Abramovich or similar, but it won't be cheap.

40 minutes ago, Dave In Vermont said:

I'm reminded of the maiden voyage of the R.M.S. Titanic: All the richest, wealthiest slobs clamored to be on board that venture. And it plowed into an iceberg and sank - killing scores of the 'billionaires' of the day.

Hmmm.....

Dave

Well the Titanic wasn't really new technology, just more of the same, and it wasn't going anywhere strange or weird (Hang on a mo, it was going to New York :evil4:), and they ignored the iceberg warnings...

The pic on the BBC shows 6 seats in the Dragon 2 capsule, so are the other 4 occupied by the real crew?

3 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Hmmm.....

Dave

Funniest thing I have read here in ages!! :-)

3 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Hmmm.....

Dave

There are several Billionaires who I would like to send to the moon, on a one way ticket :D

Perhaps it's a good way to pay for one of the test flights....

I personally would have concerns about the reliability of SpaceX rockets. The space shuttle was a misconceived deathtrap but its launch record is far better than the Falcon. And the Falcon Heavy is basically three Falcons strapped together, with three times the chance of failure...

Also, per Falcon design, the crew is in the rocket while it is being fueled!

We shouldn't be too troubled by the notion of a commercial operator picking up where governments left off. If space travel is to be opened up I think it will be due to the private sector now.  Good luck to them it would be fantastic to see. Not sure if I would go though, money notwithstanding, once you get to a certain age you become a big feartie :) 

Jim

3 things struck me about this when i saw it on tv:

1/The craft hasnt been built yet.

2/ The technology that will go into this, hasnt been created or tested yet.

3/ This "mission" is apparently going to take place around June 2018.

I honestly cant see it happening.

The Falcon Heavy is an incremental development on the Falcon. The Heavy simply has 3 Falcon first stages in tandem, and of course the Falcon has flown many times. The dragon craft has also flown many times in a slightly different and uncrewed form in ISS resupply missions.

I'm just thinking............

The ISS has had a few "tourists" in the past for the once in a life time (if you have to ask the price, you cant afford it) holiday. Just how much are the tickets for this round the Moon trip?. Surely they have to be astronomically higher. Possibly the 2 tickets sold will fund the whole mission (but i seriously doubt it). So SpaceX will be running on a loss. 

As the dragons say: "Im out".

I still dont think it will get off the ground (by that i mean be ready to happen in 2018).

Can the people get a refund?.

Baby steps is the way to go. Sub-orbital flights around the world like Virgin Galactic are offering at a mere snip of about 250K. This is a realistic goal.

Personally speaking, i'd be MORE than happy with a trip on the ZeroG flights to experience zero gravity. 

This trip not stopping/landing on the moon makes it cheaper and safer but I wonder if all the modern technology and complexity makes for more risk by having more things that could go wrong.

I'm not so sure about this. I believe it is far too early to risk private 
lunar trips. Sounds adventurous, but one bad accident could kill a dream like this
for decades. Besides, apart from it being thrill opportunities for the rich, there is 
no other conceivable reason for doing this. 
Let Virtual Reality satisfy folks with that sense of adventure, I's a lot safer. 
And a lot cheaper for everyone.

Archived