Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ-3 vs Porta

Hi all,

Anyone have any experience of using a Vixen Porta mount with a Skywatcher ED80? I'd be using it with 2" diagonal and hefty Pentax XL eyepieces. My AZ-3 handles it fine, but I had to construct a counterweight system to bring it up to proper usability. I just think the Porta looks more compact and elegent, and would also take my PST if I went for it (rather than have two AZ-3's - one modified for my ED80 and one with special plate for the PST).

What is the quality of the fittings and motion on the axes like with the new Porta mounts?

Any input gratefully received! Thanks,

Ant :smile:

I've been having exactly the same thoughts lately Ant :(

The Porta mount looks very neat and well put together but I just can't convince myself that it's really a significant improvment over my venerable AZ-3 yet :)

John

Without going for the hard sell... :oops:

I love mine, it took both my WO Megrex 72 and a Skymax 127 with ease. I also had the Megrez 72 and the Megrez 90 on it. See attached link for photos.

Smooth controls, excelent build quality.

It will easely take the ED80. The pair would make a great grab and go set-up.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,24951.0.html

Mine pictured is for sale for £120.

Lee.

I only spotted Lee's one for sale AFTER I'd placed an order (and paid for) a brand new one from Telescope Service, so....

Mind, at that price it's bound to sell soon, yes?

The main advantage for me is I can get the Porta to do two jobs rather than have two AZ-3's that can only do one job each. So I save some space, and in the process get a nicer looking setup!

I'm a big fan of AZ-3's otherwise, but in this case I think the Porta will be more advantageous. Watch this space... :)

Archived