Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron StarSense & Skywatcher AZ-EQ6

DRT

I'm currently using a Starsense for Skywatcher on my HEQ5 Pro and getting quick and easy goto's all of which are visible in a 10mm ep with # reticule (although often not centred).  I've not felt the need to go down the GPS route as it remembers the location and entering the time/date takes no more than a few seconds.

So far I've only used it at the mount rather than from laptop/phone/tablet ect.

One question I do have is about controlling the scope from my laptop.  On the SW hand controller I could set it to 'PC Direct' bypassing the HC for remote control.

??  How do I connect up when using the Celestron Starsense HC ?    Do I connect my laptop to the Starsense HC (via the usb on the bottom) or do I plug direct into the Interface Box, bypassing the controller ?

I did have a quick try after updating the Starsense HC firmware.  The firmware update went OK so I know the laptop could see the HC/Interface box/SS Camera and know it was using COM 3, but couldn't get any software (stellarium/CdC/Astroplanner) to see or move the mount.

Any info greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Set up looks ok - so couple further thoughts - did you start with mount set to EQ mode? also was mount at home position (polaris). I only use mine in AltAZ and set to Alt 0 deg, AZ rough polaris direction.  My guess is its something to do with initial setup. Even a quick 1 star alignment should prove basis work ok. 

Garden / location looks amazing by the way :)

Al.Grant sorry cant help never tried 

Thanks - yup the handset was in EQ mode. Tempted to switch to AltAZ mode until I decide to have another stab at some astrophotography.

We're really lucky with our garden - sky views only obstructed by the clouds living in sunny Lancashire ;)

On 4/12/2017 at 22:30, jam1e1 said:

Al.Grant sorry cant help never tried 

Ok thanks.  I've managed to get things working (mostly!).

The laptop connects direct to the usb on the bottom of the Starsense HC ....  the problem wasn't the HC it was me stuck in 'Skywatcher' mode.

What I hadn't done was install the ASCOM Celestron driver as soon as I did that things looked much better.  I think put a bit off course with the driver issue because I got Stellarium to see the mount and control it even without the Celestron driver, so assumed all was OK!

So I have Stellarium, CdC, Astroplanner and BYE all talking to the mount and controlling it through the SSA for Skywatcher HC.   So it should be  easy enough to align with the SSA and then swap over to the laptop for imaging.

The only issue I still seem to have is with PHD2 - as soon as I try to connect to the scope it crashes as soon as the mount control window opens, hopefully I'll get that sorted before the next clear night.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2017 at 15:08, Al.Grant said:

Ok thanks.  I've managed to get things working (mostly!).

The laptop connects direct to the usb on the bottom of the Starsense HC ....  the problem wasn't the HC it was me stuck in 'Skywatcher' mode.

What I hadn't done was install the ASCOM Celestron driver as soon as I did that things looked much better.  I think put a bit off course with the driver issue because I got Stellarium to see the mount and control it even without the Celestron driver, so assumed all was OK!

So I have Stellarium, CdC, Astroplanner and BYE all talking to the mount and controlling it through the SSA for Skywatcher HC.   So it should be  easy enough to align with the SSA and then swap over to the laptop for imaging.

The only issue I still seem to have is with PHD2 - as soon as I try to connect to the scope it crashes as soon as the mount control window opens, hopefully I'll get that sorted before the next clear night.

I am having a nightmare of a time trying to control my mount (NEQ6) through the SS for Skywatcher. I contacted Celestron and they told me to just connect with a USB lead from SS HC to PC and install the PL2303 serial driver on the PC. I want to use Starry Night Pro to control the mount (through Ascom) but although I see a Com port in device manager, Starry Night will not connect to the scope. My mount is on a pier outside my Obsy building, about 6 mtrs away, and I have tried connecting with a short USB cable (to a laptop), an active USB cable, USB over Cat6 and even with Celestron SkyPortal wifi module and Skyportal App and none work. ANY help would be good!

14 hours ago, mallorcasaint said:

I am having a nightmare of a time trying to control my mount (NEQ6) through the SS for Skywatcher. I contacted Celestron and they told me to just connect with a USB lead from SS HC to PC and install the PL2303 serial driver on the PC. I want to use Starry Night Pro to control the mount (through Ascom) but although I see a Com port in device manager, Starry Night will not connect to the scope. My mount is on a pier outside my Obsy building, about 6 mtrs away, and I have tried connecting with a short USB cable (to a laptop), an active USB cable, USB over Cat6 and even with Celestron SkyPortal wifi module and Skyportal App and none work. ANY help would be good!

I got the same advice from Celestron.  

I installed the PL2303 driver from the link they sent me ( http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41 ).  

I already had the same driver/version installed, but I guess reinstalling is never a bad thing ...... other than my 'note' at the bottom of this post! 

The issue I had was that I didn't have the ASCOM Celestron Unified driver installed (  http://www.ascom-standards.org/Downloads/ScopeDrivers.htm ).  Then in the ASCOM settings I select 'Celestron Telescope Driver' and it all seems to connect up OK.   Now I think about it using that driver makes sense (being a Celestron HC)

My cables go  PC -> SS HC then as normal to the Interface box.  There is no need for any other setting on the HC, so no equivalent of the SW 'PC Direct' mode.

So far I've only controlled things with my laptop close to the mount, so no long/active usb cables etc, but that is something I need to do.

Note:  All of this was about 10 days ago .... since then my laptop died and needed all the software (incl Win) reinstalling  :mad: ...  so now  it's all back I've got to connect up again and see if it still works!

10 hours ago, Al.Grant said:

I got the same advice from Celestron.  

I installed the PL2303 driver from the link they sent me ( http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41 ).  

I already had the same driver/version installed, but I guess reinstalling is never a bad thing ...... other than my 'note' at the bottom of this post! 

The issue I had was that I didn't have the ASCOM Celestron Unified driver installed (  http://www.ascom-standards.org/Downloads/ScopeDrivers.htm ).  Then in the ASCOM settings I select 'Celestron Telescope Driver' and it all seems to connect up OK.   Now I think about it using that driver makes sense (being a Celestron HC)

My cables go  PC -> SS HC then as normal to the Interface box.  There is no need for any other setting on the HC, so no equivalent of the SW 'PC Direct' mode.

So far I've only controlled things with my laptop close to the mount, so no long/active usb cables etc, but that is something I need to do.

Note:  All of this was about 10 days ago .... since then my laptop died and needed all the software (incl Win) reinstalling  :mad: ...  so now  it's all back I've got to connect up again and see if it still works!

Thanks but I've tried all that including the Ascom driver and it will not connect. I'm going to try reinstalling the whole Ascom package and see what happens.

Update on the Starsense for Skywatcher and remote control of my mount. I tried absolutely everything to get connected to the NEQ6 mount including usb cable and PL2303 drivers to a PC and also using a SkyFi 3 unit and Skysafari 5, with no luck. Today I took the Starsense back to FLO who exchanged it for another and I set it up on my mount/scopes. Bingo! Connected first time through the Skyfi 3 and Skysafari android app on my tablet, ran for 3 hours with no problem and slewed to over a dozen targets. I then connected my imaging PC in the Obsy to the Starsense through SkyFi 3 and Starry Night 6 Pro via a Virtual Com port with no problem.

So it seems that the problem was a faulty Starsense HC!

Good to know.  Glad you got it sorted in the end.

However ....

ran for 3 hours with no problem and slewed to over a dozen targets.

Do you seriously expect us to believe you've had 3 hours of good clear skies :icon_biggrin:

15 hours ago, Al.Grant said:

Good to know.  Glad you got it sorted in the end.

However ....

Do you seriously expect us to believe you've had 3 hours of good clear skies :icon_biggrin:

Ha ha! Just slewed to daytime targets. Not commenting on accuracy yet!

Ok further update. Tried again connecting through the SkyFi 3 and the Starsense and it connects for a while then drops out. It's not the SkyFi, which works well but it seems to be the Starsense HC locking up. Oh well. SkyFi is going back as surplus to requirements.

How do you plan to use the starsense if sending Skyfi back, just with HC?

im on my 3rd Starsense unit and all 3 have unfortunately not been stable with my setup. The skyfi is rock solid with Skywatcher HC. Seriously thinking about sending back and giving up with it, not worked or been stable since august 2016 and not seen much traction from celestron to fix.

21 hours ago, mallorcasaint said:

Ok further update. Tried again connecting through the SkyFi 3 and the Starsense and it connects for a while then drops out. It's not the SkyFi, which works well but it seems to be the Starsense HC locking up. Oh well. SkyFi is going back as surplus to requirements.

My Starsense HC did lock up a few times when I first got it ...... always when the scope was pointing almost straight up.  

I tried a User Auto Align (pg13 of the manual) and that seemed to work.  No idea why but I've not had any lock ups since doing that.   If it had been pointing towards the West when it locked then I could perhaps understand (house!) but it was always pointing up high towards the zenith.

Fortunately FLO changed my Starsense for another and now I can connect to my PC and Starry Night via the USB over Cat 6. Works great now. Had a go tonight and the only problem I had was that the Starsense alignment was way out. Time/Date and Location were correct but the final alignment was miles away. had to give up as the clouds rolled in.

Archived