SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron StarSense & Skywatcher AZ-EQ6

DRT

I love using my AZ-EQ6 in all respects other than alignment. Having learned to do such things with a CPC1100 I find the Skywatcher functionality clunky and limiting to the extent that it puts me off using the mount, particularly if it is cold or if I want to grab a quick, unexpected session.

I read an observation review by @alanjgreen a couple of days ago where he described the ease with which he aligned his scope using the Celestron Starsense system and became intrigued. I have read a few threads since which give varying opinions (old versions not so good, new version very good) but have not seen any relating to the use of Starsense with Skywatcher mounts. I know that there is a version available for that combination but wondered if anyone had tried it and with what results?

If I go down this route my abject laziness would require me to include the GPS module although I am unsure whether or not I would need to buy the Celestron or Skywatcher version. Given that the former is £57 more expensive sods law says it will be that one I would need :rolleyes:

All advice gratefully received.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I completely agree that the skywatcher align system is much behind the skyalign and star sense offered by celestron.

Have read this on other threads and I believe you require the celestron gps module.

im considering a ioptron AZ pro goto (https://www.altairastro.com/Ioptron-AZ-PRO-GOTO-mount.html)This seems a nice compromise as according to what I've read will align itself and all you have to do is confirm the star is in the centre of field of view.

Derek - the Celestron SkySync GPS is one of the best things I've bought.  No worries about entering location, date, time - just straight on (once the link is established, just a few moments) to a quick and easy alignment (generally two known stars) and you're away!  And if you have to move the 'scope, same thing - after no time at all you're in business again!

Doug.

I use the brilliant Starsense combined with WiFi/tablet control on my Celestron Evolution.  With WiFi and tablet, you don't need GPS. I presume that WiFi is an option for Skywatcher mounts too. 

But even when I depended upon the Starsense hand controller, I couldn't ever see the point of an expensive GPS module.  Looking up time, longitude and latitude is free and so easy on a Smartphone, so why pay big bucks for an accessory that simply drains precious power? WiFi control is real fun too.

39 minutes ago, Helen said:

So... instead of using the skywatcher handset do you then get to use the celestron handset??  That would be a bonus!

Helen

Helen, I read in TeamCelestron  (for beta testers) than the Synscan HC is replaced,  and both the Celestron and SkyWatcher Starsense HC'S are identical in functionality. So you probably get your wish.

i would have posted a review of Starsense for Skywatcher with AZEQ6, although havent got it working yet with combo id like since ~Aug 16. 

On the plus side Celestron appear to have replicated my issue and appears to be a software bug, whereby after 5-30m use the mount tracking ceases and it looses alignment coordinates. Needs full power down and realignment. Still waiting on ETA for fix 

For reference my setup is: Skywatcher AZEQ6 mount, Celestron Starsense for skywatcher, SkyFI3, Skysafari with Iphone 

When it does work, accuracy is great and most objects near center in eyepiece. Appears more accurate than skywatcher HC alignment. The auto align feature is very useful also, and can customise to location so that if house is blocking part of sky it uses other parts to align to

On GPS point, you dont need one can just use iphone/android app to find coordinates

Jamie

4 hours ago, Helen said:

So... instead of using the skywatcher handset do you then get to use the celestron handset??  That would be a bonus!

Helen

Yes, thats correct.

Its the same for celestron users. Remove the nexstar+ handset and plug in the starsense handset.

As the skywatcher unit ships with a celestron magic box. The celestron magic "aux" box only talks to celestron components. If you plug a skywatcher anything into the celestron magic box then it wont like it.

Here's some info on wifi units from team-celestron just in case anyone is wondering if they need skywatcher or  celestron versions ??

Starsense Sky-watcher support for Skyportal Wifi Adapter

New postby William.i.am » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:32 am

Are celestron thinking about making Starsense Sky-watcher compatible with their Skyportal(skyq2) Wifi Adapter
or are people better off getting the Skyfi3 by Simulation Curriculum ?

Perhaps Simulation Curriculum are been given wifi adapter production in exchange for the Skyportal App software ?
In which case Skyportal(skyq2) Wifi Adapter compatibility will probably never get attempted.

Re: Starsense Sky-watcher support for Skyportal Wifi Adapter

New postby Derik » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:36 am

There are no plans to make Celestron Wifi modules compatible with SkyWatcher mounts.

William.i.am wrote:Perhaps Simulation Curriculum are been given wifi adapter production in exchange for the Skyportal App software ?
Nope. They developed their WiFi module on their own. In fact, it came out before ours. And it works differently too. Their module requires you to align your mount using the hand control, and then it connects to the Hand control to perform goto operations after you are aligned. The Celestron module plugs directly into the Celestron auxiliary bus, alignment and goto's are handled inside the app.

William.i.am wrote:or are people better off getting the Skyfi3 by Simulation Curriculum

Maybe I am biased, but I think people are better off getting a Celestron mount to use with their Celestron accessories. :D

Conclusion: use skywatcher wifi unit.

50 minutes ago, jam1e1 said:

i would have posted a review of Starsense for Skywatcher with AZEQ6, although havent got it working yet with combo id like since ~Aug 16. 

On the plus side Celestron appear to have replicated my issue and appears to be a software bug, whereby after 5-30m use the mount tracking ceases and it looses alignment coordinates. Needs full power down and realignment. Still waiting on ETA for fix 

For reference my setup is: Skywatcher AZEQ6 mount, Celestron Starsense for skywatcher, SkyFI3, Skysafari with Iphone 

When it does work, accuracy is great and most objects near center in eyepiece. Appears more accurate than skywatcher HC alignment. The auto align feature is very useful also, and can customise to location so that if house is blocking part of sky it uses other parts to align to

On GPS point, you dont need one can just use iphone/android app to find coordinates

Jamie

Jamie,

From reading around on team celestron website, it sounds like the likely failure point is the SkyFi plugged into the starsense HC. You could try a session with the skyfi removed and see if your problems go away. At least then you know what the issue is? Its not too hard to "info" the object names in skysafari then manually enter them in the handset.

Alan

11 hours ago, noah4x4 said:

I use the brilliant Starsense combined with WiFi/tablet control on my Celestron Evolution.  With WiFi and tablet, you don't need GPS. I presume that WiFi is an option for Skywatcher mounts too. 

But even when I depended upon the Starsense hand controller, I couldn't ever see the point of an expensive GPS module.  Looking up time, longitude and latitude is free and so easy on a Smartphone, so why pay big bucks for an accessory that simply drains precious power? WiFi control is real fun too.

8 hours ago, jam1e1 said:

I decided to go for the GPS for three reasons:

• I'm inherently lazy so enjoy having kit that does the job for me
  • iPhones are not designed to survive being dropped on a freezing cold patio at 3am
  • I have no need for WiFi

The package arrived from FLO today - great service as usual :smile:

The StarSense looks like a quality piece of kit. I was expecting something made of plastic but it is a solid lump of metal and glass and I'm looking forward to using it as soon as a few stars appear in the sky :rolleyes2:

• 1 month later...

I finally got the chance to use my StarSense and GPS module at the DIY Peak Star Party this weekend and was extremely pleased with the results. Once aligned the accuracy of the GOTO and tracking was superb over a number of hours.

Two bits of advice for those who decide to buy this:

1. When you tell it to align your scope it is a good idea to remove its lens cap  :icon_redface: 
  2. Remember to set Cordwrap to "On" on your mount to avoid strangling it with wires.

Very pleased despite a couple of school boy errors :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the same setup  (eq6gt, starsense, skyfi3) but SkySafari won't let me enable the automatic setting of time and location. Am I doing something wrong or is this just not supported with this setup?  Don't want to pay the ripoff price for the GPS module. I know astronomy is expensive but they really are taking the proverbial.

hi chris, it wont let you on mine either as not supported i believe -( you can always check on simulationcurriculum support page )

i just have had to set up once and think it remembers location last used so no issue there for me. 

out of interest Ive got same setup, have you noticed any hangs? I get hanging on mine but after random periods of use (20m, 1 hour, 5m etc)? jamie

I've not had any hangs, but then I've only used it once and had to abandon using it for control after some excitement...  I've got a 5" refractor on my mount, stuck the StarSense on in in place of the finderscope and performed an auto-align.  The EQ alignment seemingly succeeded, but when I then asked it to slew to Jupiter, it promptly drove in the wrong direction and drove the telescope into the tripod legs :(  Powered everything down, re-auto-aligned again, then manually slewed using hand controller to vaugely point at the moon, SkySafari concurred I was pointing near the moon.  I then used the handset to slew to the moon (shouldn't have been far!) and once again it headed off in the wrong direction...  Not sure what I can possibly have done wrong.  Do I need to rotate the camera to be in the same orientation as the scope?  I just left it as I found it oriented relative to the bracket.

Re: setting location from SkySafari - I've tried the NexStar serial protocol to the handset to get/set location, and it doesn't seem to respond as advertised when ussing "w" (get location), which I suspect is why SkySafari can't sync them (time seems to respond/set as I'd expect though).

Edit: I tell a lie, it does seem to be responding with the location (just cobbled together a quick C# app).

hmmm sounds odd, so can only take a few guesses - ensure time/date/location set correctly (you can access location and specify long/lat using celestron button from what i recall). Suggest try firstly with manual align, once aligned ok you then need to calibrate scope to camera - this is one off procedure. On point about camera, this does/should point in same direction/axis as scope i.e. just like finder - if not could cause all sorts issues. Take a pic of setup if poss, that could help us identify if something wrong.

well done on c# app - always fun to have a play around. Note from speaking to skysafari team, believe the SS/Skyfi only sends slew commands and not time/date although i may be wrong - worth posting to simulationcurriculum site if have specific questions, they are really helpful

Archived