Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AP Problems - Owners of 10" Orion f4.7 Newtonian Atlas

Dear StarLoungers,

Trying to locate owners of this type of scope to see if they have had problems with Astrophotography?   I realize the scope is heavier at about 26-27 lbs and over half the limit payload listed of 40 lbs.

In the reviews I saw an issue with not being able to use barlows?

Also read problem with doing AP and mirror had to be moved?

Any one had problems or know any work arounds to the issues facing doing AP?

Or- have you been successful?  If so, with CCD or with digital SLR camera?

Thanks!

Thanks,

TC

Hello TC.  I've not had direct experience with this telescope but the issues you refer to are common to many reflecting telescopes, the main one being achieving focus. I'm not sure why a Barlow cannot be used to help with this, however should this be the case then the alternative is to raise the primary mirror closer to the secondary mirror either by shortening the tube from the bottom end or jacking the mirror up by using longer collimation screws. In general, a CCD camera will need less back focus than a DSLR.  :icon_biggrin: 

My newt has a low profile focuser with less than an inch of in travel left when at infinity focus.  Without using a 2" barlow, the only way I can reach prime focus is with my GSO coma corrector optics unit direct attached to the included M48-T2 adapter ring that then attaches to a T2-EOS mount adapter.  I think I may have introduced a 15mm spacer ring to get to optimal spacing.

Archived