Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Scope upgrade

Hi I need some ideas for a scope upgrade.

Im currently using an ED80 and the new scope needs to be ok on the HEQ5, I need something good for Galaxies and relatively fast.

I was looking at just getting a 130pds as a similar focal length but faster. But after id factored in all the upgrades id want it went from being £175 to £650.

Any others I should be considering an RC maybe?

What add-ons do you think you need that will push the price to £650?

I would certainly think a coma corrector. What else - RACI, Telrad EPs?

Why not just buy the 130PDS and others things that you need most and then just accumulate the other bits overtime by buying 2nd hand.

What are you hoping to use the scope for - AP or visual?

Hi Ian

Yea I think the list was Cheshire, coma corrector, and to be fair the rest was on an new focuser & fittings, I currently have a moonlite motor focus and would want to make use of that.

It would be used for AP.

Well the 130P-DS is f/5. Anything longer and the same speed or faster will be big. And probably expensive too.

Most galaxies apart from M31 and M33 are pretty small so you'll be looking at a 'scope in the metre class for fl. Factor in the speed and you're looking at 200mm plus.

I suppose a 200 f/5 newt might just be do-able on an HEQ5 but you'll be pushing things.

Um, just a thought, what cam will you be using? The 1100D or 428?

Archived