SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

glasses...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/22/2017 at 15:34, northward said:

So I am a bit concerned, as a glasses wearer, what types of drawbacks or challenges I might expect to face?  Both with bins and scope.  I can't get contacts unfortunately.

Check your CYL correction on your eyeglass prescription.  Compare it to the chart on the Televue chart for their DIOPTRX astigmatism corrector.  The higher the CYL number, the more likely you'll see distorted stars when not using eyeglasses at the eyepiece.  It's dependent on the exit pupil of the eyepiece/telescope combination.  The higher the power, the smaller the exit pupil, the less likely you'll see astigmatism from your eyes.

I have -2.00 diopters of astigmatism in my observing eye, so I need astigmatism correction of some sort at all but the smallest exit pupils.  To this end, I use long eye relief eyepieces having at least 17mm of usable eye relief.  I observe wearing infinity corrected single vision eyeglasses with my latest CYL correction.  That way, no matter where I look in the eyepiece, everything is in focus and corrected.  I can also let others with either 20/20 vision or wearing eyeglasses take a look without their having to refocus more than just a little.  I always remind eyeglass wearers to just keep their specs on for the best view.

I have quite strong astigmatism and have selected EPs with eye relief of at least 16mm. That works fine for me. Long eye relief (LER) often adds to the price, but there are some pretty decent LER EPs to be had for a modest price, like the TMB Planetaries and their clones. The more expensive Vixen SLVs are also excellent. At longer focal lengths, things are easier, and even a Plossl or an Orthoscopic at 25mm focal length is excellent for glass wearers.

On 06/02/2017 at 10:15, JOC said:

I can see that working for observation when it is only you looking and you can adjust the focus of your telescope for your eyes, but (assuming we are talking DSLR here) unless you are using automatic focussing for the photography wouldn't that result in an out of focus photo?  i.e. you focus the image to what then looks in focus for you through the viewfinder, but it won't necessarily be focus for others or for the camera.  NB.  This comment arises from just having a problem solved by SGL with my daughters camera.

I have astigmatism quite bad in both eyes. I've always taken my glasses off for photography and astronomy. 

My DSLR has a 'LiveView' function and I use that when I focus for AP. 

I've never had a problem so far as I focus normally with the viewfinder then switch to liveview and zoom in I. The screen and make any adjustments as necessary. 

Archived