Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Helios Aquila MS WP 32mm

SpaceBass

Wouldn't mind picking up a pair of these (likely x6.5) for daytime and occasional night time viewing, for those occasions when a lower weight bino is preferred. Clearly very similar to the Kowa YF, Leupold BX-1 Yosemite, Bushnell Nature View 220630, amongst others.  Can find the Helios for less than the others though.

Can't find any reviews or opinions but is it reasonable to assume they are equal in optics and performance to the Kowa's and Leupolds?

https://www.thebinocularshop.com/helios-aquila-ms-wp-32mm-binoculars.html

They  look very much like these which I  bought following good comments by Steve Tonkin.

http://www.birders-store.co.uk/vortex-raptor-65x32.html

Not all binoculars that look the same are necessarily quite the same as they can vary in important ways such as coatings. However IF they are the same they will be a good little bincular. For some reason I'm struggling to cut and paste the links but if you put a search in above for Vortex Raptor you will see comments that  both Steve Tonkin and myself have made.

Astrobootl have some aquila 8.5x32s in their bargain section for £70. With 10% off (sale at moment) that brings them down to £63.00. With postage its £67.50.  One nice thing about the Vortex though is the Vortex unconditional lifetime warranty.

(apologies for missing link, now corrected I hope)

Thanks! I can currently find the x6.5 and x8.5 Aquila for £56 & £46, respectively, but I think there will need to be a genuine fault to return them, hence your 'IF' is a concern. 

However IF they are the same they will be a good little bincular

I did read Steve's review of the Vortex and was put off by them having 'too much' eye relief when used without specs. They are also about double the price of the cheapest Aquila's, last time I checked. On the flip side, the Kowa YF (x6?) was criticised by one person on Cl Nights for having (IIRC) a 46 degree AFOV, so inferior to the Raptor's 50.7 deg.

The Vortex eye relief is quoted at 20mm and 'though specifications sometimes tell only half a story when the eyepiece lens is deeply recessed, I have no difficulty at all using the with specs or without. Interestingly the Aqulia 6.5x32 eye relief is given as 17mm and the fov at over 8 degrees compared to the Vortex about a degree less. At these wide fov its a bit academic but from the detail of the spec it looks as if there are differences. Looking at the Kowa it seems to have a very similar spec but not quite the same but that said,  one site had the eye relief of the Vortex as 16mm, so it makes you wonder! Incidentally regarding afov, I would not say 46 degrees is inferior to 50.7, just different.  Pentax tend to use smaller afov to many wider field binoculars, that definitely does not make them inferior!

7 minutes ago, Alfian said:

Incidentally regarding afov, I would not say 46 degrees is inferior to 50.7, just different.  Pentax tend to use smaller afov to many wider field binoculars, that definitely does not make them inferior!

I really should have inserted a question mark after 'inferior' because there's still much to learn on the subject :happy10:.

2 hours ago, SpaceBass said:

I did read Steve's review of the Vortex and was put off by them having 'too much' eye relief when used without specs.

...and...

38 minutes ago, Alfian said:

I have no difficulty at all using the with specs or without

Just goes to show how personal our tastes in binoculars are! Only way to tell for sure is to put them up to your own eyes and see if they suit you. :icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

...and...

Just goes to show how personal our tastes in binoculars are! Only way to tell for sure is to put them up to your own eyes and see if they suit you. :icon_biggrin:

Point taken and not too dissimilar to my other hobby, hifi, albeit giving priority to your own ears (by auditioning a piece of equipment)

When I was researching this line of binos, I caught your comment about 'rejecting' the Leupold or Kowa when you tried it.  Could you please elaborate why, just out of interest?  

49 minutes ago, SpaceBass said:

Point taken and not too dissimilar to my other hobby, hifi, giving priority to your own ears (by auditioning a piece of equipment)

I use to be into Hifi years ago, when I had some money and few commitments. I found myself listening out for imperfections rather than enjoying the music. An accommodation and job move meant I had to sell up and scale down to something simple and I re-discovered my love of music. I sometimes think of this when I find myself over analysing stuff instead of enjoying what I have and particularly what I can see, rather than what I cant.  Thats part of the reason why i love the simplicity of binoculars. Then again, there are binoculars and binoculars. Ooops, there I go again!

On 22/01/2017 at 17:45, SpaceBass said:

, I caught your comment about 'rejecting' the Leupold or Kowa when you tried it.  Could you please elaborate why, just out of interest?  

If by "Leupold" you are referring to the Yosemite 6x30, I rejected it on account of reviews & comparisons I'd read suggesting that the Vortex Raptor was better. Did I mention the Kowa? If so, I don't recall. Must be age...

Archived