Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Busy bit of sky....

I nipped out last night to see if there were any clear patches, and the whole sky was clear, really clear, but sat pics showed cloud moving in fast. So rather than an OTA on the mount, I just popped the camera on, pointed it at the sky, and this piccy came out.

I have no idea where the region is, but there seems to be lots of nebulosity in there. Whats the biggest neb shown at the top??? All I know is, the mount was pointing pretty much straight up, at around 23:30 last night.

Cheers

TJ7645_large.jpeg

Thanks for that, the data from that site is really impressive, I like the fact that it highlights the names of other objects that I can use for targets "close up" so to speak.

The pic here has a lot of loss of data from the jpegging I think, I may post the original late when I get home.

Cheers

TJ

No Kevin,

I have an EOS clip CLS filter, which doesnt work with Canon's EF-S lenses. So I bought a cheap (and it really shows) 22-55mm EF lens and used that. There is awful aberration on the stars, but processing removed most of it.

When I can afford it I would like a decent wideangle to do the same job. Keeping dew off can be a chore, I had the dewstrip from the c9.25 fashioned into a makeshift lens hood. The modified 350d shows many many times more details than the unmodded 400d, i had them doing a side by side comparison with the same lens.

I really think that the combo of a modded camera and CLS lens is a good match for light polluted areas.

I'm gonna post the better version of this one in a bit, along with some others I've just taken of a storm.

Cheers

TJ

Kevin,

Here is the unmodded 400d pic for comparison. Its not strictly a fair comparison, as the 350d pics are 4 stacked + darks, this is a single frame, but even so the difference in Ha data is huge.

I was surprised to see the beginnings of a little bit of red nebulosity in the 400d pic after levels were applied, maybe with much longer exposures it would pick a bit more up. But the modded camera just sucks in the Ha emissions.

I'd love to get a couple of hours on this area, but would need a decent lens, just look at the problems on this one (aberrations not edited out).

A bit of this was to test how well the eq6 would perform as to tracking on its own, and how long I could push the exposures without trailing stars. But due to the incoming clouds I cut the test short and just grabbed what I could!!

Cheers

7667_large.jpeg

Archived