Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Uhm, what just happened? (vignetting)

Datalord

So, had a chance to see a bit of stars tonight and try out my new Canon 6D with the Celestron Evo 6. At first, happiness with all the right settings on the camera and the noise is obviously much, much lower than on my Sony camera.

But... This is a flat. What on earth is going on here?

IMG_0161.JPG

Compare this to a flat on the Sony with the same setup:

DSC03553.JPG

Why is the Canon going nuts on vignetting?

I'm not sure this will solve the problem. The optical system (lens or scope) may be the limiting component. In that case, adaptors won't do you any good. As the cloudy nights thread says, you need at least a light cone with a diameter of 44 mm, when it reaches the sensor. But of course, if the scope will give you a wide enough light cone, any adaptors must be chosen to match.

I'm not certain any adapters will help. As Wim says it's about illumination cone size. 

This details the situation  unfortunately, albeit with a different scope and camera but problem is the same  

how much do you want for the Canon ? ;-)

http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/510629-full-frame-with-celestron-edge/?p=6759829#entry6759829

You can always ignore the vignetting and crop the image to a useful area. This way you will get the same FOV as with a camera with an APS-C sensor (like your Sony) and still have the advantage of a better image quality and lower noise of your Canon. There are still plenty of pixels left to get nice images :)

Good luck!

HJ

Remarkably few telescopes can cover full frame and some of the ones which claim to be able to cannot, in fact, do so. (The Tak FSQ85 is an example.) Alas, Celestron manage not to give an image circle on their website so we don't know what this scope will cover, though a Google search might find something.

A crop will probably the way out of this.

Olly

Edit Sorry, I missed your link to a search already.

Archived