NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

No time for my personal observation!!!

Hello to all!

Looks like I will have to wait for one more season to start my astronomical league observation projects! 

I am having back to back public observations since a month where all I can manage to show is basic objects like Orion nebula. Just because it's a public observation with all newbies, I have to avoid Ghost of Mirach Galaxy while showing andromeda galaxy. No luck with observing comets as well. Situation doesn't look to improve as I am already scheduled for observations in next two weeks.

Sometimes, being a freelance astronomy educator loses its charm!

On clear nights, my local astronomy society runs their meets like an outreach event, so I end up showing a lot of the same stuff there (same things as you, Orion Neb, And Galaxy, double cluster). It's fun, as I enjoy showing other people the night sky, but I do also get my own personal observing time - and to be honest, we only tend to get these good evenings every 2 or 3 months on the right night.

Can you do the general public sessions when the moon is high, as those objects don't tend to be bothered by it - and the public always love looking at the moon. And then your own observing during new moon?

Can't you stay on and observe after the event. I went to a public event in central France last summer. They ran a lovely event using scopes from 100mm up to a 20" dome housed beast (they had used a truck axel as the basis for the mount! - sorry, digression). After the public wandered off, the serious observing started.

Paul

PS. Keep up the good work. I wouldn't be surprised if SGL has active members who wouldn't be here if they hadn't looked through a scope at one of your events.

55 minutes ago, rockystar said:

Can you do the general public sessions when the moon is high, as those objects don't tend to be bothered by it - and the public always love looking at the moon. And then your own observing during new moon

24 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Can't you stay on and observe after the event. I went to a public event in central France last summer. They ran a lovely event using scopes from 100mm up to a 20" dome housed beast (they had used a truck axel as the basis for the mount! - sorry, digression). After the public wandered off, the serious observing started.

Paul

Nowadays I end up taking observations on both days. When moon is high, I mostly have evening observation where I end the session before midnight and come home. But around new moon days, it's only overnight observations! Although it does become serious observation after a while, it's mostly regular serious objects like Flame Nebula.

All that travelling and night stays in cold take a toll.

Looks like hiring a trained team is the only option, because after few days my solar observations will get a boost.

Archived