Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Binning and LRGB combination Pixinsight

How do you combine different binning combinations for example 20 lights 1 x 1   10 reds at 2 x 2 10 blue 2x 2 and so forth. I have tried in Pixinsight but says wrong geometry when combining . Or am I trying to mix apples with oranges here . First time using LRGB  so a steep learning curve.....ps have bought Make every Photon Count....so  gaining some insight into the process. Best regards...Alan

Normally to combine images they need to be of the same dimensions.  I resample my binned images to match the un-binned, although you could do it the other way around.  Most image processing software will have this facility - look under "re-size image".

Chris  

23 minutes ago, Astrith said:

How do you combine different binning combinations for example 20 lights 1 x 1   10 reds at 2 x 2 10 blue 2x 2 and so forth. I have tried in Pixinsight but says wrong geometry when combining . Or am I trying to mix apples with oranges here . First time using LRGB  so a steep learning curve.....ps have bought Make every Photon Count....so  gaining some insight into the process. Best regards...Alan

Inside pixinsight is def worth buying if you have purchased PI.

EG, 1st paragraph on Binning:

If binning 2x2 images are to be integrated with non binned images (1x1) a full resolution luminance image must be used as the reference image.

Hi Alan

I'm at a similar stage with LRGB and PI. What you need to do is prepare all your masters and, when you have a master LUM RED GREEN BLUE you need to use the STAR ALIGMENT Process (if I remember correctly) to align/register the RGB binned images to the MASTER LUM - this will resize the RGB images to the LUM so you can then combine the three RGB and the combine with the L.

In a nutshell....have a google and I am sure you will fine some workflows or I can recommend Warren Keller's Pixinsight book

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-PixInsight-Patrick-Practical-Astronomy/dp/3319256807

53 minutes ago, Marky1973 said:

Hi Alan

I'm at a similar stage with LRGB and PI. What you need to do is prepare all your masters and, when you have a master LUM RED GREEN BLUE you need to use the STAR ALIGMENT Process (if I remember correctly) to align/register the RGB binned images to the MASTER LUM - this will resize the RGB images to the LUM so you can then combine the three RGB and the combine with the L.

In a nutshell....have a google and I am sure you will fine some workflows or I can recommend Warren Keller's Pixinsight book

https://www.amazon.com/Inside-PixInsight-Patrick-Practical-Astronomy/dp/3319256807

Cheers Marky . I do have the book . However you explained very nice and simple . Many thanks. Will now try and put into practise !...Alan.

1 hour ago, MARS1960 said:

Inside pixinsight is def worth buying if you have purchased PI.

EG, 1st paragraph on Binning:

If binning 2x2 images are to be integrated with non binned images (1x1) a full resolution luminance image must be used as the reference image.

Must learn to look at the book more.... Many thanks for your help Mars 1960

1 hour ago, cfpendock said:

Normally to combine images they need to be of the same dimensions.  I resample my binned images to match the un-binned, although you could do it the other way around.  Most image processing software will have this facility - look under "re-size image".

Chris  

Cheers Chris....Sounds will look this up.....Thanks. Alan.

42 minutes ago, Astrith said:

Cheers Marky . I do have the book . However you explained very nice and simple . Many thanks. Will now try and put into practise !...Alan.

I've found working through the first chapters in the book slowly and repeatedly very helpful....although my combined LRGB images currently look like they have been painted by a spider with tremors, so I have a way to go yet!

2 hours ago, Marky1973 said:

I've found working through the first chapters in the book slowly and repeatedly very helpful....although my combined LRGB images currently look like they have been painted by a spider with tremors, so I have a way to go yet!

This is sound advice . I actually have the book open right now. Many thanks Marky

Archived