Flame, Horse Head and a load of satellites

Nice, the satellites should be removed by the stacking software, it's been a while since I used DSS but check you are using Kappa Sigma clipping and if necessary adjust the settings for it so it removes the .

A nice start to a lovely area of the sky.

I'd make a few suggestions:

- try using the kappa sigma algorithm in DSS as it should remove the satellite trails

- your image has a green cast so I would suggest reducing it

What software are you using to process the file from DSS?

23 hours ago, D4N said:

Nice, the satellites should be removed by the stacking software, it's been a while since I used DSS but check you are using Kappa Sigma clipping and if necessary adjust the settings for it so it removes the .

Thanks Dan, I think I may have turned it off some time ago as it was causing problems. It was only a quick stack to see what was there I will have another go.

23 hours ago, Filroden said:

- try using the kappa sigma algorithm in DSS as it should remove the satellite trails

Thanks Ken for your suggestions. Think I used Paintshop Pro X9 but it was quite late :icon_biggrin:

On 29/12/2016 at 19:33, D4N said:

On 29/12/2016 at 19:35, Filroden said:

Ok restacked with Kappa Sigma. Tried to keep colours neutral not sure that will be to everyones liking.. I am pleased that it is possible to pick out the Alnitak double.

HorseHead and Flame Kappa ATC_DxO.jpg

Thanks again for your advice. Further comments always welcome.

Good to get rid of the nasty trail, I think it's reduced the noise too, or you did that with the processing.

I think I preferred the first one for colour but I know my own renditions of this target has ended up all sorts of colours.

12 hours ago, davefrance said:

Ok restacked with Kappa Sigma. Tried to keep colours neutral not sure that will be to everyones liking.. I am pleased that it is possible to pick out the Alnitak double.

Thanks again for your advice. Further comments always welcome.

That's a much higher quality image with the trails removed (and I think it's a higher resolution you've uploaded this time). Again, my only comment is on the colour. Although that entire area is covered in dust and nebula, the most neutral part of the image should be to the left of the flame/hh. That part of the sky should be a very dark grey. Try and balance your histogram so that area has an RGB value of between 20-25 (all three channels being almost equal in value and close but not quite black). I don't know how you would do that in Paintshop Pro.

I hope you don't mind but I did the above to see what it might look like. As this is only on the lower resolution jpeg and was quickly done it won't be as good as your version:

5866c45243cd2_HorseHead.jpg

1 hour ago, Filroden said:

That's a much higher quality image with the trails removed (and I think it's a higher resolution you've uploaded this time). Again, my only comment is on the colour. Although that entire area is covered in dust and nebula, the most neutral part of the image should be to the left of the flame/hh. That part of the sky should be a very dark grey. Try and balance your histogram so that area has an RGB value of between 20-25 (all three channels being almost equal in value and close but not quite black). I don't know how you would do that in Paintshop Pro.

I hope you don't mind but I did the above to see what it might look like. As this is only on the lower resolution jpeg and was quickly done it won't be as good as your version:

5866c45243cd2_HorseHead.jpg

This is about as close as I can get to your rendition, cannot get the star to the left of the Flame as yellow but I think it is definitely an improvement. Thank you for you time.

HorseHead and Flame Kappa UT_DxOA4CPS.jpg

Archived