Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Taking Picture of Betelguse

John MK

Ok I'm trying to get into astrophotography, and well It's getting there... After I've finally got my mount to aglin (after an hour of mistakes!) I thought I'd try a long exposure. I've seen few videos say and websites but at the moment it isn't going to well and just wondering if anyone could help a little, just to try and get something other than what im getting.  ( See attached picture )

The setting on my CannonEOS 1100D are:

• Manuel setting
  • Shutter Speed: BULB
  • Aperture: F00
  • ISO Speed: 1600
  • Flash Exposure: 0
  • Daylight setting
  • Imiage setting: Standard, taking in RAW
  • Manual Focus
  • Single shooting

I've been using a remote shutter with a 10 seconds exposure then taking a picture ( took me a while to time it all right!) but still getting the imagine attached. Just seems to be taking a long exposure of the back of my telescope instead of what im focusing on. The telescope is " Polaris™ 114mm German Equatorial Reflector " Now I can't find anywhere on the internet where I can't just take a picture with the T ring and the mount camera adapter, and get a picture. But obviously I'm missing something. There is some sort of adapter for meade the " Meade Variable Projection Camera Adapter (1.25") " but do I NEED that particular adapter for any reason or is the T ring and mount camera adapter enough to get a decent picture of anything?

Just a side note, would a barlow lense do ok? ( Going to try it tonight and see. Just thought of it as I was doing this post!)

Mount Camera adapter --- http://www.meade.com/products/accessories/photography-accessories/meade-variable-projection-camera-adapter-1-25.html

Telescope --- (  http://www.meade.com/polaris-114mm-german-equatorial-reflector.html )

Betelgeuse.CR2

Hi John

First thing is the focus in your photo is way out.  You may have an issue to focus on that scope, but try going through the adjustment and get the minimum disc/point you can.  try focusing in the daylight on something distant, just to check you can actually focus it properly, if not then a barlow may help, depending on where the focus is. 

1600 iso is high for a star shot, but should be ok anyway.  After you achieve focus, it might be better still would be to aim for the M42 Orion nebula, in the sword area of Orion as you are already looking close there anyway.  Manual focus is good, but you could also try auto on distant object, (moon would be good!)  and then note where the dial is turn it back to manual to go to the star 

there are plenty of other tips out there, use the lcd and zoom in on the star to see if its bloated or small and sharp, think about a Bahtinov mask for the scope to help with focus, (search on the internet) 

good luck, you will get there

Mike

Hi John and welcome to SGL you've come to the right place for help.

You're a long way from focused, not familiar with you're scope but it may not have enough focuser travel to achieve focus, is your pic taken with the focuser as far in as it will go ?

It should have a supplied Barlow lens (may have 2X barlow on the side) if your T adapter is 1.25 you can try fitting the barlow then the camera.

If you save your images as PNG you can upload them directly in your post so we can see them without downloading.

Dave :icon_santa:

On 12/22/2016 at 23:18, mikeyj1 said:

Hi John

First thing is the focus in your photo is way out.  You may have an issue to focus on that scope, but try going through the adjustment and get the minimum disc/point you can.  try focusing in the daylight on something distant, just to check you can actually focus it properly, if not then a barlow may help, depending on where the focus is. 

1600 iso is high for a star shot, but should be ok anyway.  After you achieve focus, it might be better still would be to aim for the M42 Orion nebula, in the sword area of Orion as you are already looking close there anyway.  Manual focus is good, but you could also try auto on distant object, (moon would be good!)  and then note where the dial is turn it back to manual to go to the star 

there are plenty of other tips out there, use the lcd and zoom in on the star to see if its bloated or small and sharp, think about a Bahtinov mask for the scope to help with focus, (search on the internet) 

good luck, you will get there

Mike

This mask you're talking about, I've tried focusing my telescope with the live feed on my cameraand I seem to be able to get it focused on things so close like a bush 5 yards away yet a chimney breast 300-500 yards away is so blury, is this right?

Tried with Barlow lense and it just made it worse!

I was going to try again tonight but the weather isn't too great at all!

But am I susposed too fucus on something right infront of the scope or some distance away?

John

Did you get a Barlow lens with your scope ? they sometimes supply one.

If so fit it before the camera, the Bahtinov mask is used for focusing on a star but try to achieve near focus first as the mask is just for getting it perfect.

Dave

18 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Did you get a Barlow lens with your scope ? they sometimes supply one.

If so fit it before the camera, the Bahtinov mask is used for focusing on a star but try to achieve near focus first as the mask is just for getting it perfect.

Dave

Yes I've got a Barlow lense but seems to make things worst!? :S  . But when im trying to focus my camera, the scope it self has a manuel adjustment on it. When I zoom all the way in, it seems to me real sharp for close objects but not far away, my question is, am i susposed to focus on something close up or far away? Just got my new EQ3 auto matic mount! Cant wait to use it, but as it's england the weather isnt always too good!

Merry Christmas by the way!!!

John

Get back to how you were set up imaging Betelgeuse, wind the scope focuser in and out with Betelgeuse on the live view screen and see if it gets smaller on the inward or outwards travel.

If it gets smaller as you wind in but you can't get proper focus it means there is not enough inward travel in the focuser, if so try with the Barlow.

If it gets smaller as you wind out but doesn't reach focus before it stops you haven't got enough outwards travel in the focuser, this can be fixed with extensions.

Try to move the focuser very slowly as it's easy to go straight past the focus point

Dave

You are obviously far out of focus. The Mount Camear Adapter you are using is meant for eyepiece projection, not for connecting your camera straight to the telescope without an eyepiece.
This thing prevents you to get enough inward focus travel. You need a Canon T-ring and T adapter like this: Afbeeldingsresultaat voor canon t-adapter

On 12/25/2016 at 19:16, Davey-T said:

Get back to how you were set up imaging Betelgeuse, wind the scope focuser in and out with Betelgeuse on the live view screen and see if it gets smaller on the inward or outwards travel.

If it gets smaller as you wind in but you can't get proper focus it means there is not enough inward travel in the focuser, if so try with the Barlow.

If it gets smaller as you wind out but doesn't reach focus before it stops you haven't got enough outwards travel in the focuser, this can be fixed with extensions.

Try to move the focuser very slowly as it's easy to go straight past the focus point

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'll try this over the weekend. Just got my new EQ 3 pro mount. So I'm trying to use the damn thing but keeps looking at the ground, so meeting a friend for help! But I'll keep you updated with the focusing and pictures!

THanks everyone though for the advice :)

John

Archived