Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Fleeting glimpse of the Swan (Cygnus)

I spent this weekend camping at a site called Bracelands in the Forest of Dean hoping that I would catch some dark skies on camera. I was trying to assess its suitability for a Star Party. Alas the wind was blowing clouds across at a great rate of knots and was teasing me at every opurtunity. It seemed as if someone was watching me from above and every time I set up my kit it would cloud over completely. From what I did see in the gaps, its looks to have very good potential. I could see all the stars in the Big Dipper easily and Andromeda naked eye. Heres a 2 min exposure I manged to grab with the 400D mounted on an astrotrac at ISO800, Sigma 20mm lens. The image is not processed in any way. There is some LP gradient across the image but there was a lot of moisture in the air and the transparency was poor. On a clear night the site should be excellent.

7528_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

And heres another 1 min exposure with Cassiopeia and M31 to the left.

7529_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Hopefully I will catch a clear night there soon and get some longer exposure done.

Regards

Kevin

Nice DSLR Widefield images - Cygnus is currently my favourite area of the sky... that's when we get the weather to see it :D

So many objects that I want to image in there but only the odd clear spell amongst the seemingly endless rain...only Friday is giving any hope for the next few days as well before again breaking down into rain.

love the spell checker - when I remeber to use it :D

Archived