Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CPC 800 bearings

I'm wondering whether the nylon bearing replacement is a worthwhile mod in itself, even if there is no obvious issue with the existing ones.

It's not wedged and it accurately locates things and tracks well, so all I'm thinking is whether in time the nylon will degrade and performance drop almost imperceptibly.

What's the advice guys?

Thanks

Hi Radec, I think" if it ain't broke don't fix it" - looks like its working well for you, I think problems would certainly show themselves if the scope was wedge mounted, but I think so long as you have the balance right, then the bearings should last a very long time, I think its only when things are out of balance that its going to be a problem - wedge mounted would really strain things I think.

With good balance, the bearings should get minimal friction, just shows you that things are ok, tracking and GOTO seem fine for you - so I wouldn't worry at this stage, just enjoy the CPC - never had a problem with mine at all, tracks very well and finds things.

Paul.

Same here - leave well alone is my advice. You would only upgrade the bearings if doing serious long term astro photography on a wedge. But nylon bearings will last a long time in alt/az mode, it could be ten years before you notice any performance degradation requiring a replacement. Mine tracks and finds very accurately after a good 5yrs so far :)

Archived