Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Making background dark

Hi Drumsolo,

you could move the black point up -> set the curve for the darkest areas (on the left ) to zero. But be careful-if you overdo it the background gets "clipped" , ie an unnatural total black. So start careful ;)

I think the best way is to keep an eye on the black point as you do the stretching. So after a stretch is applied look in at Levels again every time. Keep a reasonable length of flat line to the left of the histo peak because many processing procedures nibble into the black point anyway. But don't end up with the histo peak half way over to the right. Something like this is healthy.

healthy%20histogram-M.jpg

It's a good idea in Ps to have some background sky markers in place (Eyedropper tool set to Colour Sampler with a 3X3 or 5X5 sample.) I keep the background at about 25/25/25 till the last operation when I bring it down to 23/23/23 by moving the black point in a bit.

Crossed with DaveyT here!

Olly

Archived