first attempts at the milky way

1 hour ago, Trevor Does Not Exist said:

i i tried it on 3200, but i suffered from the most intense light pollution (blackpool with it s xmas illuminations.) im waiting for a red intensifier which should let me go with a higher iso without it just being a white screen :) hopefully

I know the problem, it is never simple but at least you tried. It is always worth trying to juggle stopping down & ISO to get the sweet spot.  Hopefully you can get to a dark spot with a clear sky at some stage :) 

yeah its odd but i found out my street is orange, but if i go to the next street down its in the yellow lol. but like i say hopefully the red intesifier (if it ever arrives been a week since i ordered it) will help me step up the iso a bit. the best sky is an hours walk from my house (no transport) and that is green on light pollution.  

5 hours ago, ultranova said:

They have come out well, its actually harder than you think

to get a good wide angle picture of the night sky in built up

areas, they have come out much better than my first attempts

well done

Paul

and in blackpool that has worse light pollution than london when its the illuminations 

On 05/12/2016 at 22:52, Trevor Does Not Exist said:

i i tried it on 3200, but i suffered from the most intense light pollution (blackpool with it s xmas illuminations.) im waiting for a red intensifier which should let me go with a higher iso without it just being a white screen :) hopefully

It will be interesting to see how you get on. The ideal solution is to try to get away from the pollution, but that is never easy...

A flat is just a completely light picture, same focus distance on lens, same iso, but the exsposure is so that the histogram is in the middle. I use my android tablet with app lightbox and balance my tablet on top of the lens, it works for me. About 40 images or so. When used in a processed stack of images it sorts out any dust bunnies and lens vignetting.

Bias frames are same focus, same iso just fastest possible shutter your camera can do with lens cap on. About 40 frames I take.

Archived