Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modding a DSLR

Stormbringer

First you need to know if the 114lcm can achieve prime focus with a DSLR, my guess is it would need a barlow lens but I don't have that scope so can't be sure.

Next you need a T adaptor and T ring to allow physical connection of the camera to the scope.

Modding the camera entails removing the filter that blocks part of the near infrared spectrum often found in nebulae.  Sometimes the filter is replaced with another to reduce the effect this will have on normal use.

It is possible to do this yourself or pay for someone else to do it for you.

I found it quite easy to do mine, it took about half an hour.  The hardest bit is stopping dust getting into the camera.

I think your mount is alt Az, if this is the case it limits how long you can take exposures for until you get field rotation.  It may be possible to solve this using a wedge if your mount is compatible with these.

thx for quick reply

I already have the Celestron T adapter and the T ring for Canon EOS cameras 

I guess i wont know i need the Barlow lens till i try it 

Am i right in thinking that the Barlow screws into the inside of the T adapter ?

What factor of barlow would or should i use ?

1 minute ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My 'top tip' is to take a sheet of paper and draw boxes on it. As you remove screws write the place in the boxes (e.g. upper  body cover) and group the screws in the box.

I guess my answer to that 1 is pay someone to do it for me 

My eyes arnt what they used to be lol 

But that is a good tip :) 

Archived