NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

An incredible night

D Wright

After spending the last 4 months learning the art of imaging (which I have nowhere near perfected) I went out last night with the intention of honing my skills. When I got there it was flat calm and clear as a bell. I just got set up and the camera mounted and everything working well when all of a sudden out of nowhere the wind picked up and it soon became strong enough to stop any imaging. Not wanting to waste such a clear night I decided to do some observing. I had forgoten what a pleasure it is to sweep the sky and find previously unseen objects. It was one of those nights where I managed to find almost everything I looked for. The targets aquired are too numerous to list but these are some of the highlights.

I started with Auriga and spotted the following  M36, M37, M38, NGC 1664, 1857, 1778 and 1907.

Then across to Taurus and found M1 (which I had not seen before) and NGC 1647.

Next to Gemini to find M35 , NGC 2158 and 2129.

Then over to Monoceros for C50 (satelite cluster) and NGC 2264 (cone nebula).

The night was rounded off with a look at some of the old favourites such as M31, M33, M81 and 82 and M42.

Not quite the night I was planning but very enjoyable. I went home a very happy bunny.

40 minutes ago, FenlandPaul said:

You did very well to get such a haul if you're not used to being at the eyepiece

I always, even when imaging spend a bit of time at the eyepiece. My aim is to have one set up for imaging and while the camera is doing it's thing, have another set up purely for observing.

A fine evening!  I've not seen many of those objects.  I tried hard last winter for M1 but just couldn't get it.     I also looked at M36 and M38 last night though - great to view...I've had a bit more practice and hope to try again soon!

Archived