Black Friday deals on eyepieces?

Davesellars

Tele Vue had a 15% off deal last winter I seem to recall. During that the base prices were increased though and many of the reductions were made to the new price rather than the old one :rolleyes2:

Frankly I doubt whether this promotion will be repeated this year but you never know - it wasn't a "black friday" thing though.

Amazon are doing a lot of "black friday" stuff but I've not seen any quality astro stuff included, as yet.

Figured as much...  I took advantage of last sale that was on to buy the 19mm Panoptic at least.

£330 new hurts for the 10mm Delos that I want but also on the lookout for a 3.5mm or 4mm premium EP with long eye relief for planetary/lunar with the 120ED and 80ED.   Options may be the 3.5mm Pentax or the Delite 4mm when available. 

I don't know if FLO can still get the Pentax XW 3.5 but their price of £249 is pretty good and they are superb high power eyepieces. I've found that my XW 3.5 is even slightly better than my Ethos 3.7 at controlling light scatter.

Thanks John. Yep, those Pentax XW EPs seem to be in short supply!

FLO have the 10mm XW though which may be an alternative to the Delos 10mm though but I'd have a problem if I use it with the Paracorr I believe as the focal plane is considerably different and out of reach of the Paracorr setting.  I use a TV 2" to 1.25 inwards focus adapter with my Delos 14mm so it can be used with the Paracorr and most importantly be parfocal (ish) with other eyepieces going from the Panoptic 19mm for example). To be honest all the eyepieces performed superbly without the Paracorr anyway... so perhaps I could just forget about the Paracorr and plump for the XW - From reports it does seem that the Pentax XW is as good as the Delos.

If it's coupled with another hike to the base prices then I'm not sure it would be a good deal anyway. When the last deal came along I was all set to buy a Nagler 3-6 zoom for what I thought would be 15% off £307 only to find that the discounted price was 330 - the discount had been applied to the new base price of £390 !

It's a strange "sale" when the prices actually go up !

ES have got a 25% off promotion on at the moment in the USA - I wonder if that will cross the pond ?

Just had the notification of this.

I actually don't think I need any more Tele Vues ! - I bought a 24mm Panoptic (used) a couple of weeks back so that niche is filled.

I guess the 10mm and 17mm Ethos would complete that set (I got the 3.7mm, used again, a while back)  but I don't really need them and even at the sale prices thats £1000+ :icon_scratch:

3-6mm Nagler zoom perhaps @ £312 ?

I'll see if I can resist over the weekend :icon_biggrin:

Good for those who have real gaps to fill !

Archived