Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular tripod

Hello! Recently I have got back into astronomy, and more seriously than before. I have a 20x50 binocular, which is great of course, however it is too heavy to hold steady to look at even the Moon for any amount of time, never mind stars or deep sky objects. As a result, I bought a binocular adapter for my camera tripod, but unfortunately the binocular is too heavy and thus doesn't hold still and instead points the binocular toward the ground. 

So I'm wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for a monopod/bipod/tripod or whatever else is good for stabilising binoculars? Preferably designed for use with a binocular, and relatively cheap? All suggestions are appreciated!

You could check out this site. Good reputation and not very expensive:

http://www.redsnapperuk.com

I use a Horizon 8115 for my 20x90 bins. Its a very good tripod.......but i think what redsnapper have to offer is better.

No point in having a great set of bins and a weak mounting system for them.

41 minutes ago, Bart said:

Hi 

I can't post a link but check out the amazonbasics 70 inch tripod with pistol grip. I have one and it's pretty good

It will be this one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Tripod-Pistol-Inches-Adjustable/dp/B00CF1LS94/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1479339889&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=tripod+pistrol+grip

I got the Ravello branded version for £43 on a special offer which was highlighted on this forum. It works well, and feels solid with the Revelation 15 x 70's, so it will be fine with the OP's 20x 50's

Really cheap is a flat mop. Sit on a stool and it is high enough for looking up. Rest the binos on the mop's head, maybe even tie them to it, but also use the neck strap, as a safety precaution.

FlatMop.gif

Archived