Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan Firmware V3.38 , Where's The Sun? & AZ Compatability

bilbo

Hi All, 

A muttiple question regarding Synscan firmware. I have  a SW 12" goto Dob, handset is marked Synscan AZ,  An Eq5 pro Synscan and an NEQ6 syntrek.  Synscan handsets are V3.

Q1 Does the latest synsscan firmware V3.38.09 work for both handset types ie synscan az & synscan

Q2 Assuming answer is yes are the handsets now freely interchangeable.  (I was thinking of buying the NEQ6 handset cable in case I ever have a problem with the syntrek controller)

Q3 Latest firmware states  Add a Daytime Alignment function, which includes selecting the sun as the alignment star for daytime one-star alignment and solar tracking.  Anyone else tried this, I select one star alignment (Eq5 Synscan) and just get a list of stars. 

Thanks in advance

Steve

I'm glad you've asked about the daytime alignment - i also upgraded and looked for it - but i can't find it either - only tried on the EQ5  - not the EQ8 - haven't upgraded that one yet.

In the end i just gave up - but i notice someone else on the iceinspace forum is having the same problem

Neil

Thanks Neil. Believe it not, it helps, saves me going nuts, The mount shouldn't matter its just receiving a position from the handset.

I manage quite nicely pointing the mount approximately north on a well levelled tripod,  pick any star from the list, don't center, just click Ok/enter then select sun from the solar system menu. If the suns not in the FOV move head E or W with az screws until it is. Not perfect but keeps the sun in place for hours with very little correction. Thought I'd add this for the benefit of anyone struggling with daytime alignment

Steve

If Synscan is anything like the Celestron hand controller it might be that it will not show the sun as an object unless it is enabled.

With Celestron you have to find the utilities menu and then navigate to the Sun Menu. Clicking the sun menu will enable and the sun will then appear as an object on the handset when in Solar System mode.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Appreciate the reply Tony  There's no on or off for the Sun. The Sun was included in the solar system objects menu somewhere earlier along the V3. firmware line,  see my earlier reply.   It is not in the menu on my Dobbo handset V 3.09 which has not had the firmware upgrade yet. 

The latest synscan manual states "A SynScan hand control with a firmware version 3.32 or later supports both an equatorial mount and an alt-azimuth mount."   I'm going to have a play with the handsets & mounts today and post the results.

cheers

Steve

Archived