NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6 - Bolt to secure to pier plate ?

Astrokev

Hi All

Not sure of the best section to post this, so covering all bases by also posting it in the Mounts section...

This is probably a stupid question, but here goes anyway...

I am mounting my NEQ6 on a pier plate (16mm thick) using a Altair Astro adapter. I'm still designing my pier, but this will be concrete filled tube. Attaching the plate to the pier will be straight forward, and I already have the AA adapter attached to the pier plate, but I'm wondering what bolt to use to attach the NEQ6 to the plate/adapter.

My initial (and current) plan is to use the standard Skywatcher central bolt that comes with the tripod, but this is quite long, and will require some fiddling of the top of the pier to accommodate this, which is not ideal.

Ideally I am therefore looking for a short bolt to secure the mount to the plate.  Lots of folks have NEQ6/AA adapters on piers and appear to use securing bolts other than the supplied SW bolt. I've looked on a few sites but can't find any commercially available bolts to do this - do they exist, or do other folks fabricate their own?

Any thoughts / guidance would be much appreciated!

Thanks

kev

kev,  I think a lot of folk use a section of threaded rod cut to size.  I used one of the anchor studs (Rawlplug) I had left over from securing my pier to the concrete base.  I got them from Screwfix. I elected to go for stainless steel so they were a bit pricey for what was actually required but they have a zinc coated item which is less expensive.  If I remember correctly it is 12mm in diameter.  The Rawlplug stud has a square end driver which is convenient for turning with a ratchet when tightening down the mount during polar alignment.  You will of course still need to cut the stud to size against your particular requirement - a good hack saw will suffice.

http://www.screwfix.com/search?search=concrete+studs

Jim

Archived