NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light Pollution filters on binocular?

Alfian

Hi all, I’m fortunate in that light pollution (weather is another matter) where I live is much less than in  urban locations. However there is still a significant glow from Halifax/Bradford in one direction and Rochdale/Oldham in  the other, which brings me to my question?

Has anyone any experience of using Skywatcher Light Pollution Filters (1.25”) on a binocular?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/skywatcher-light-pollution-filter.html

I realise that if they were an effective quick cheap fix, everyone would be using them , so I’m not expecting miracles – but thought I’d ask anyway.

Obviously this is with regard to binos equipped with filter threaded EPs

LPR filters rely on the light causing the LP to be sodium (orange St lighting) to be effective. I am aware that there are some members that use OIII and UHC with binoculars to see larger nebula like the North American and California nebula from dark sites. Not sure how they do this but I think it is just a case of holding the filter over the lens. I know some high end Bino's allow for such filters to be threaded in the eye lens.

It is worth noting that LPR filters are slowly becoming obsolete as the new LED St lighting are being introduced but still come in handy for observing the moon.

Spaceboy, thanks for the reply and comments.  I'm chewing over getting some bigger binos and given that some, notably the Apollo range, are advertised as taking filters, I wondered what possibilities that presented. Doubling up on some of the more expensive filters is fairly prohibitive price wise, hence the interest in the cheaper skywatcher light pollution filters.  In terms of choosing a bino, its not really a deal breaker, just a thought. Thanks again.

Alfian I should have added that during the year I have also had excellent views of the Rosette Nebula and the Helix Nebula. I would have thought that a pair of inexpensive UHC filters would be a good purchase - something like this - http://www.365astronomy.com/Castell-UHC-Deepsky-Filter-for-1.25-Inch-Eyepieces.html

I have not used the UHC Castell filter but I recently bought a 2" O-III Castell which I think is very good.

Thanks for the comments and that link Mark.  I  have the 10x50 BA8 (Williams) and they are indeed a remarkable bino. The fly in the ointment (or the eye) for me is the eye relief. I prefer to view without specs If I can. I can get away with it with my Pentax 20x60s mainly I suspect down to the 3mm exit , but with my changing prescription this last 12 months I find the relief even on the 10x50s a bit marginal. So in real terms I find myself considering a cheaper option  and living with something of a compromise (which given the vagaries of the weather is always tempting) or waiting and digging into deeper pockets. The other thought moving off the filter subject is to go with a suitable 20x80 which might work out.

Archived