Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eye piece

HI,I CAN SEE A IMAGE IN MY EYE PIECE BUT IT IS SO SMALL,WHY IS IT NOT FILLING THE WHOLE EYE PIECE ?SILLY QUESTION PERHAPS

ONLY HAD MY MAK 127 SKYWATCHER A WEEK. WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR SOME HELP. THANKS. Ken.

You do not say what you are looking at so slightly difficult to say. Also which eyepiece.

Very few objects will fill the eyepiece, and often any that do you will not realise they are - thinking here of Andromeda, it will fill your eyepiece but all you are likely to register is the central core, several nebula are the same, but they are too dim to see usually. Also high magnification makes for a dimmer image.

If you are thinking along the lines of the images you see as pictures they likely started out small, then the edges were chopped off so they "filled" the new square/rectangle they are displayed in.

Easier to presume most will be small. Search out the list of Messier objects then to fill an eyepiece you really need ones that are say 1/2 degree and bigger, and a few good eyepieces. Before you ask all the planets still end up small also.

Archived