NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD2 graph not working HELP!

bendiddley

Hi all. I've just moved over to guided imaging, having been dabbling in unguided for some time, and last night was my maiden voyage. I'm using a 50mm finder guidescope with a mono QHY5 camera piggybacked on a 130PDS which is mounted on an NEQ6 Pro, I'm using an ST4 cable from the QHY5 to the mount and a USB to the netbook. Unfortunately, although I had managed to successfully set everything up and got as far as selecting a star to guide on, when I clicked the guide button, nothing happened with the graph, a few numbers and text appeared at the bottom which gave the impression that something was happening, but nothing else, I left it running for a while and still nothing. I did notice though that where the dotted horizontal and vertical lines intersect with the square box over the star, after a couple of minutes the box had moved away from the intersection, not sure if that gives a clue or not. Also I am using all the default settings, haven't played with it other than changing the focal length setting. Can anyone offer their thoughts? Cheers.

What you are describing is the calibration process, perfectly normal and depending on PHD's settings can take several minutes to complete.

When successfully completed the box, horizontal and vertical lines will turn green and you graph will start recording.

Good luck

Hi Ben,

Had it finished calibrating once a star had been selected?  You'll most likely need to change some of the options which affect calibration if it takes a long time and eventually comes back with an error...

I must admit I never used the ST4 since it was all connected through EQMod with the EQdir cable I used Pulse Guiding (not sure what difference there is to setup....)

Cheers guys, maybe I wasn't patient enough, it was getting a tad cold after taking an age to set it all up lol. I think I must have waited a few minutes each time before trying again, so maybe need to leave it longer next time. Yeah I'm using ST4 because learning EQMod was just one headache too many at the moment, the ST4 set-up is simpler for me at this stage of the climb up the learning curve mountain, although I'm sure I will look into EQMod at some point.

Archived