Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alignment issues Orion XTi 10"

Hoping someone might have some information of help here so here goes.

Saturday night for no reason i can fathom my scopes alignment just went way out. It was sending me all over the place for known objects in the wrong part of the sky. DSO's I knew the location of such as bodes and the ring.

I have changed batteries, cleaned the encoders, checked they are not slipping and made sure the connections are good, nothing has worked.

I have the number for Orions support desk but just wondered if anybody has anything that may help as well.

TIA

Steve

fixed it. There are two settings in the handset that i did not know about. It was on completely the wrong setting and a 30 second call to orion fixed it.the guy instantly said what it was, Orion rocks. FYI there is absolutely nothing anywhere in the user manual or on the web that explains this, otherwise i would have felt a proper fool.

The setting that is wrong reads "ALIGN DEC MARK and a simple push of the up arrow button reveals "POINT VERTICAL" as instruction which is the correct setting. When you use it all the time the simplest of things can be overlooked.

Steve

7 hours ago, Adidaz 29 said:

I have the same scope sometime I  find the object other time no ware  near it so explain what I need to do

Always use a v high power eyepiece when aligning, I use a rectcle eyepiece and try to do both stars as quickly as possible as delay between the 2 alignment step will affect accuracy. 

If your margin of error after alignment is above 0.5 then start over until it is under. 

Mine last time out was 0.1 and objects were in eyepiece everytime.  

Archived