NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Here We Go Again!

cloudsweeper

5.00 a.m., looked out, and Orion had put in a great appearance - dark sky, less light trespass than in the evening, so took the ST120 out and got M42 and the Trapezium straight away.  Always a pleasure!

Brief observations: the nebula was clearer with exit pupil of 3, 4mm (as expected); the UHC filter didn't improve the appearance, but the Baader neodymium filter did.

Looking forward to spending more time in that region!

Doug.

29 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

5.00 a.m., looked out, and Orion had put in a great appearance - dark sky, less light trespass than in the evening, so took the ST120 out and got M42 and the Trapezium straight away.  Always a pleasure!

Brief observations: the nebula was clearer with exit pupil of 3, 4mm (as expected); the UHC filter didn't improve the appearance, but the Baader neodymium filter did.

Looking forward to spending more time in that region!

Doug.

Would you use neodymium as LPF / Moon glare filter? Im thinking about buying 2" Baader neo for myself, but I need to educate myself first....

1 hour ago, Tuomo said:

Would you use neodymium as LPF / Moon glare filter? Im thinking about buying 2" Baader neo for myself, but I need to educate myself first....

The Neodymium filters are quite good with light pollution, and are meant to give better colour contrast with planetary use, also lunar contrast.

They have high percentage transmission, so are not so good with a bright Moon.  For that, you need a Moon filter.  A polarising Moon filter gives greater control over the dimming.

Note also that you can stack a Moon filter with an Nd.  I have Nds in 1.25 and 2 inch sizes.

Doug.

1 hour ago, cotterless45 said:

Up at 5.30, what a sky. The whole of Leo up in the north east. Orion looked stunning, must get up earlier, roll on winter !

Nick.

Roll on winter indeed, Nick.  I've spent most of my life dreading its onset, but not any more!

Doug.

Archived