Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-132 Data for Processing--Please show me what teh data has to offer

Rodd

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Rodd, you just saved another afternoon for me! Nice data and interesting object. Again I whent for a RGB like version and used the Skarpen palette to start off (50:50 Ha+Sii in red, 16:84 Ha:Oiii in Green, 100% Oiii in blue). Here it is and as Wim @wimvb I take the liberty of posting it on Astrobin.

Rodd Sh2-132 RGB PS12Sign.jpg

2 hours ago, Ola Skarpen said:

My try

SHO AIP scrip pixinsight

Try too make Good star colour

MIXSHO_AIP2.fotometrikkalibrert5.png

Welcome to this revived thread Ola! A superb "try", as you call it. Very nice indeed! You have a very personal and very likable palette, with your salmon coloured (Norwegian?) nebulosity.

It inspired me to soften my version a bit, subdue the stars a tad, and bring out a little bit more dust. Still a bit more "brutal" than your version.

Rodd Sh2-132 RGB PS17 sign.jpg

9 hours ago, gorann said:

Welcome to this revived thread Ola! A superb "try", as you call it. Very nice indeed! You have a very personal and very likable palette, with your salmon coloured (Norwegian?) nebulosity.

It inspired me to soften my version a bit, subdue the stars a tad, and bring out a little bit more dust. Still a bit more "brutal" than your version.

Thanks for the nice feedback Gøran. I might be a little too careful when I look at your photos. I will try and make a new version, as I see my preview became a bit "boring" compared to yours and all others.

43 minutes ago, Ola Skarpen said:

Created a new version. I've tried to bring more of the contrasts and colors in the picture. I find it hard to make the stars beautiful and clear.

Very nice Ola! I like the more saturated red but I am not sure about the dust colour that have now drifted towards green. I would prefer either bluish or whitish with this RGB like palette. I was also fighting with particularly the star colour. My starfield started off with being dominated by bluish small ones (and a few red ones but no white ones). Using PS I finally marked them all and used the top part of the histogram colour-curves to move them towards white. Your starfield maybe looks a bit too pinkish.

6 minutes ago, gorann said:

Using PS I finally marked them all

Göran, it's about time you start learning to make star masks in PixInsight. ?

I think I will write a small tutorial on various ways.

1 minute ago, wimvb said:

Göran, it's about time you start learning to make star masks in PixInsight. ?

I think I will write a small tutorial on various ways.

When I said "marked them all" you probably misunderstood me and felt really sorry for me. But, I did not spend half a day but only a few seconds on the task since it is actually an automatic procedure even in good old PS where you use the colour picker (Eyedropper tool) on one of them and the let the program select all areas with the same shade (using a slider to adjust how broad colour/brightness levels to include). Looks like this. The star mask procedure seems more complicated to me.....

Skärmavbild 2018-08-04 kl. 11.06.13.png

@gorann, with the eyedropper tool you select colour, which can also include nebula or galaxy. And you have to redo for various star colours. The star mask tool, while slower, selects stars based on size and strength. And it an either target just the brightest parts, or also halos. And there are a few other methods in PixInsight to select stars, beside the star mask tool.

7 minutes ago, gorann said:

Need advice @Rodd@wimvb@Ola Skarpen

I felt my image needed more dust (particularly after seeing all the dust that Ola found) and I ended up with two slightly different versions, one with bluish dust and one with graying-brown dust and I cannot decide......…

I Think the last one is best

7 minutes ago, gorann said:

1 hour ago, gorann said:

I felt my image needed more dust (particularly after seeing all the dust that Ola found) and I ended up with two slightly different versions, one with bluish dust and one with graying-brown dust and I cannot decide...

I think you have lifted too much.  Notice how the new dust is flat--like a gray blanket.  If you used curves, use half the strength--you can always do more than one iteration.  

Rodd

3 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I think you have lifted too much.  Notice how the new dust is flat--like a gray blanket.  If you used curves, use half the strength--you can always do more than one iteration.  

Rodd

Got your point - but should it be blue or gray?

Archived