SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M57 at 2m unguided - How bad can it be?

DanWebster

For a bit of fun I wanted to try and image M57 at 2m. This would mean using my SW200p with a 2x barlow for some F10 action, and would be tracked by an EQ5 Goto. In order to keep weight down, there would be no guiding. The camera would be a standard, uncooled Canon 1100D at ISO 1600. How bad could it be?

I had to keep the subs down to 20 seconds for the stars to remain mostly round, but I managed to take 120 of them before it got too late.

30 darks, 30 flats and 99 bias round off the stacking paramters, but DSS would only let me keep 70 of the subs, and even less when I tried x2 or x3 drizzle.

The best effort I managed was with no drizzle and using 70 x 20s subs. It was stretched in DSS, with a little extra work in Paint.net to improve colour, contrast and noise. I'm without pixinsight at the moment as the trial ran out, but I've been impressed with it so I'll definitely be picking it up when I've got some funds available. Any way here it is.

29877912281_533a3fc449_c.jpg

It's not the sharpest of images, but given the difficulty of the setup, I'm reasonably pleased with it.

So who else has decided to go against conventional wisdom and go for a target with a difficult setup?

Dan

This is great and shows what can be done with subs of 20 secs. Looking forward to trying this kind of thing after Xmas and I have my motors under the tree for my 150p on eq3-2. 

Lovely colours.  I love taking short pics of the ring nebula, jealous of your results. 

7 hours ago, Starlight 1 said:

This is not bad at all I like it . it in the center, nice center colour, so much better them spending 3 hours out side and only coming back in with a cold. Keep going you are do well.

Thanks. It was cold enough when I took those, gonna have to wrap up warmer, I don't want a cold.

5 hours ago, Peco4321 said:

This is great and shows what can be done with subs of 20 secs. Looking forward to trying this kind of thing after Xmas and I have my motors under the tree for my 150p on eq3-2. 

Lovely colours.  I love taking short pics of the ring nebula, jealous of your results. 

Thanks and good luck with the upgrades.

Archived