Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSO

barry f

Hi all i want to get into observing more DSO but unsure what i need to do so. I have at present a Celestron Nexstar 6 SE  with a 24mm and 12mm EP i eventually want to do some imaging as i also have a zwo colour camera

so first of all the observing thing is my priority so what do i need pls to move forward

Start with what you have. That's where I started. The only extra I had from you was a Canon DSLR. It served me very well until I figured out what direction I wanted to go.

Once you push what you have to its limit, you will have a better idea as to where you want to go and what the next steps will be.

The book "Making Every Photon Count" or "The Backyard Astronomers Guide" will help you on your way.

With your Goto you should be able to see quite a lot of DSO's already, as long as you set it up correctly, and have decent skies too. Maybe a good quality 32mm wide field EP would help to see some objects better with the narrow fov that you get with the 6se. I can see quite a few objects that I would have struggled to find without the Goto mount that I own. 

25 minutes ago, barry f said:

so what do i need pls to move forward

The only thing you need are some clear skies and enthusiasm. Get out there, set your scope up well and press "M"+any number between 1 and 110 and you will start to see those first few DSOs - they won't all be visible at the same time of year, so get a planetarium program, like stellarium, so that you can see what is up.

And Enjoy :) once you start going for it, you'll soon work out if you need anything else equipment wise

Archived