NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ-6 Modification

Watcher

I'm probably being thick here but I can't find the answer elsewhere. 

I have an EQ-6 mount which I bought used. It doesn't have a Synscan/Skyscan handset, just the handset the normal box with four white buttons.

I have been looking at upgrade options and I'm reluctant to pay £300+ for the normal upgrade kit as I didn't pay that for the mount! Looking elsewhere I have seen the EQ Mod option but can't tell if I still need the upgrade kit in order for this to work. I suspect the answer is yes but I'm not 100%.

2 minutes ago, Watcher said:

I'm probably being thick here but I can't find the answer elsewhere. 

I have an EQ-6 mount which I bought used. It doesn't have a Synscan/Skyscan handset, just the handset the normal box with four white buttons.

I have been looking at upgrade options and I'm reluctant to pay £300+ for the normal upgrade kit as I didn't pay that for the mount! Looking elsewhere I have seen the EQ Mod option but can't tell if I still need the upgrade kit in order for this to work. I suspect the answer is yes but I'm not 100%.

Eqmod only works with the Synscan and Syntrek EQ mounts so won't work with the old non goto EQ6 mount.

Your link doesn't work. Do you mean this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meade-lx10-telescope-with-eq6-mount-/282157451952?hash=item41b1e50ab0:g:nmoAAOSw-kdXyC2N ? This is a standard mount, not a modified one. The standard dual axis handset has been modified for autoguiding using a GPUSB box which isn't the same as EQmod. Take a look at last photograph on the listing and you will see a standard DA handset with an extra cable exiting it. This cable plugs into the small rectangular box with the cream cable, this is a Shoestring Astronomy GPUSB autoguider box. The cream cable terminates in a usb plug (pc side) and there is a socket on the box for the curly cable from the handset. This modification gives you autoguiding for astrophotography but not goto or use eqmod.

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Your link doesn't work. Do you mean this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meade-lx10-telescope-with-eq6-mount-/282157451952?hash=item41b1e50ab0:g:nmoAAOSw-kdXyC2N ? This is a standard mount, not a modified one. The standard dual axis handset has been modified for autoguiding using a GPUSB box which isn't the same as EQmod. Take a look at last photograph on the listing and you will see a standard DA handset with an extra cable exiting it. This cable plugs into the small rectangular box with the cream cable, this is a Shoestring Astronomy GPUSB autoguider box. The cream cable terminates in a usb plug (pc side) and there is a socket on the box for the curly cable from the handset. This modification gives you autoguiding for astrophotography but not goto or use eqmod.

Thanks, that explains it really well. It's autoguiding that I'm really interested in as I want to try imaging, I was hoping that was possible without massive investment and so it looks like it is.

Not sure if something like this mod might work on the EQ6?

Either way the standard motors on EQ mounts are no where near as smooth and accurate as stepper motors found on the synscan goto mounts so your exposures are never going to be as long as what they could be.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived