NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon image stabilised lens.

sheeprug

Hi All,

I'm looking at getting a new DSLR for both normal and astro use. The Canon 1300d looks like a good start, and I used to use canon kit in the past.  (In fact I have 2 T70s with several FD lenses gathering dust in the attic).

I note it usually comes with the choice of a 'normal', or an image stabilized lens.  Are there any pros/cons with image stabilization from the astro perspective?

SR

IS should be turned off when shooting from a tracking mount, it doesn't seem to cope properly with the very slow movement. Unfortunately Canon FD lenses won't reach infinity focus on the Canon EOS bodies (which were introduced in the late 80s), but m42 and pentak-k lenses will when used with an adaptor.

If your FD lenses are Tamaron with the adaptalII adaptor you can get an adaptor to use it on an EOS, watch that the seller says it will focus to infinity and will accept the adaptor back if it does not.

Canon FD lenses work only as macro lens with an adaptor (straight through) the ones with an element don't create nice images I've tried.

I actually use my canon kit lens with IS turned off all the time.

Thanks everybody.  So if I understand you correctly, IS is no problem for astro since it can be turned off, could be beneficial in some cases and anyway is useful for non-astro.

I was aware FD lenses don't work properly on an EOS, and I had also been considering the EOS-M range since I gather they can be used successfully with an appropriate adaptor. However,on balance I think non-astro requirements still favour the 1300d.

SR

Archived