Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lightbox - LED circuit question

anthony

I know that this will be very basic for some, but not me! I am making a light source for my light box. I have bought some LEDs to have a play with and so read a little on wiring the circuit. However, I have done my order but without getting any resistors. So, before I start I wondered if someone can tell me that I will destroy my LEDs without an appropriate resisitor or that maybe it will be OK.

I saw a little battery case with an on/off switch. That seemed handy so my power is going to be a 9v battery. My LED's are white, 1800mcd (maplin NR73Q). The important figures for these seem to be 20mA (max 30mA) and VF 4V. I was going to use 4, maybe 6 of them.

I really don't know what I am doing but wondered ...............

If I ran 4 in series from the 9v battery would it work at all?

If I had two circuits in parallel, each with 2 LEDs in series - would that work without a resisitor?

If my second suggestion is workable then I have another question.......

How does the wiring go? :shocked:

Do I just run a wire from the +ve of the battery to the anode on the LED, then from the cathode of that LED to the anode of the next, then from the cathode of that LED to the -ve on the battery (but do that for each series)

Don't be shy to say that I am completely wrong (well I know I am not right) but using the V=IR for resistance suggested a low value needed for two pair LEDs in paralell and I wondered if I could dispense with the resistor(s) altogether. If anyone feels inclined to offer a little bit of electronics knowhow/principles in layman talk then that'd be cool!

Cheers

Anthony

PS I am tring to avoid buying a 20p resistor with a fiver postage! and there are no elctronics shops near me.

To run 1 LED from a 9v battery :-

The VF of the LED is 4v so you need to drop 5v (9v minus 4v) across a resistor.

The current is 20mA so from R=V/I, R=5/.02 which equals 250 ohms.

250 ohms is not a prefered value so you need to use 220, 240 or 270 ohms.

4 LED's in series probably wont work - there wont be enough voltage across each LED.

2 circuits in parallel each with 2 LED's in series MIGHT work but there will be 4.5v across each LED so it may blow them.

Your wiring thoery is correct.

Steve

Cheers Guys

Ebay is my next port of call!

Cheers Eddie.

Using a web based calculator I'd need a couple at 56ohms to run 4 LEDs as 2 pair in parallel. But let me look at ebay first.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Anthony

Archived