NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

82 degree (not Naglers)

BGazing

How do various mid-priced (not Vixen and Pentax) 82 deg eyepieces compare to each other?

A lot of them look like clones, but of a different kind. WO UWA, SW Nirvanas, Lacerta 82 and these from TS look absolutely identical. Then again ES 82 and a different type of TS 82 look identical, but here the focal lengths differ (TS sticks to the WO UWA type of focal lenghts).

All of them seem to be of same tight Nagleresque eye relief, but I hear complaints about ES 82 recessed lenses, which effectively cut the ER. That would suggest that the WO/SW type is more comfortable to use. Other than that, has anyone used them and found them to be different when it comes to quality?

When Jinghua (Explore Scientific) was not marketing their own line of lenses, they were mostly sold as Meade 68 and 82 series 5000 and Celestron Axiom eyepieces.  Then Meade and Celestron were bought by two different competing companies (Ningbo Sunny and Synta, respectively).  JOC (Jinghua/ES) then started marketing their eyepieces under the ES label.  That left Meade and Celestron looking for other companies to make their premium eyepieces, perhaps even in house.  I'm not really sure who makes them today.

So, Celestron starts marketing their Luminos line as if it is a drop in replacement for their Axiom (i.e., ES-82) line.  Initial reviews were less than positive.  Correction to the edge is not nearly as good as older JOC equivalents.  Excessive edge of field brightening has also been reported.  They do have decent eye relief, however, and cost significantly less.  The 15mm is reportedly one of the best of the line.

Meade exited the 68 degree line creating the ES Maxvision line inadvertently as a result.  I see many dealers still have the Meade 82 5000 eyepieces, so I can't say for certain that they've exited that line completely, though it might just be new old stock.  They have the flush mounted eye lenses maximizing eye relief.  I have the old 30mm ES-82 with a mushroom top that has just enough eye relief to use with eyeglasses.  It has some lateral color in the last 10 degrees, but it's not too bad.

Meade instead focused on the 100 degree market first with the XWA line that totally flopped.  It was considered overpriced and ugly, but technically sound.  Telescope Warehouse bought out the remaining stock of at least the 20mm ones.  Not badly priced at $230.  Meade then brought out the MWA line which touted 20mm eye relief and 100 degee fields but delivered neither.  They have decent eye relief of around 13mm to 15mm and an actual AFOV of around 92 degrees.  Close, but no cigar on either account.  They are probably better performers than the Celestron Luminos, but they cost significantly more as well for those 10 extra degrees of field.

By comparison, the ES-92 line truly delivers nearly 20mm of eye relief and 92 degrees of very well corrected AFOV, but are very expensive and very heavy.  The only downside of the line is that ES continues to recess the eye lens for unknown reasons.

There's also the Williams Optics UWAN line of 82 degree eyepieces (the first to market them) that are now marketed by a multitude of resellers including Nirvana, Lacerta, and TS as you noted.  They have ES levels of correction, but offer only 4 focal lengths and have a very broad eyecup on the 28mm.

There's also the Speers-Waler lines of 78 to 82 degree eyepieces.  They tend to be tall and well corrected.  I you can find them, they are a good choice.  I have the 5-8mm zoom (really a varifocal) and love it.

There are super cheap 80 degree eyepieces out there that should be avoided.  They are incredibly poorly corrected in the outer 50% of the field in anything under an f/15 scope (Maks might be okay with them).

I thought that I would hate the ES 82° range because of the real eye releaf. I have had the 24 and 30mm and been entirely comfortable (I don't wear glasses). The 24mm really really impressed. I had both the 68° version and the 82° version. And preferred the 82° in every respect.

Curiously, I no longer have any 82° eyepieces. I find the the 72° Delos range is the perfect balance in terms of quality of view and Fov. Unfortunatally, they stop at 17.3mm. Personally, I prefer the longer ES range over the Naglers. No one reason, but except that I find the Naglers rendition to be a bit lifeless. Very high quality but it doesn't light my fire.

Their 92°S are a game changer for the glasses wearing observer if the quality of image is there. I would say that they are still an unknown quantity.

Although I would be surprised if John hasn't had a sneaky early peak??

Paul

10 minutes ago, BGazing said:

What's the worst if you buy with a credit card?  If they don't come through or are not as described, dispute the charge with your CC company.  RVO and Harrison Telescopes have them for a bit more.

The other choice is to wait and see if ES puts some or all of their ES-82 line on sale during the holidays.  The 30mm ES-82 was $199 last December here in the states for a little while if I remember correctly.

1 hour ago, Paul73 said:

Their 92°S are a game changer for the glasses wearing observer if the quality of image is there. I would say that they are still an unknown quantity.

Read Don Pensack's brief initial impression of an ES-92 eyepiece on Cloudy Nights.  I'd be all over them were it not for the cost, weight, and recessed eye lens.

BTW, he says three more ES-92 focal lengths are in the works.

Archived