Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Eyepieces

Hi I have had my Sky watcher 130m now for over a year and looking at upgrading a few eyepieces. I have the 2 stock sky watcher EPs (10 & 25) but was looking at getting a clestron Omni 32mm plossl and a higher mag one around 7mm. Can anybody say what the difference is between the Sky watcher ultrawide and the Planetary UWA. I like looking at the planets and wanted something with a little more power, I know my scope will take up to a 4mm but I don't think that would be very pleasant to look through as its only  a EQ2 mount and not the most stable.

Any help will be greatful

That's great they look a little pricey for me at the moment I was considering a slightly cheaper version. The sky watcher ones range from £30 - £40 but I have seen the ultrawides on ebay that are unbranded from China and look exactly the same as the SW ones

The ultrawides that you mention above (Skywatcher and the clones) are OK in slow scopes (eg: an F/10 refractor or smidt cassegrain) but the 6mm, 15mm and 20mm show quite a bit of distortion in the outer parts of the field when the focal ratio of the scope gets to F/7 or faster. The 9mm is better corrected than the others in the range and seems to perform well even in an F/6 scope.

I had a set for a Celestron C5 SCT that I had a while back and really quite liked them in that. You can get them for around £25 each on e.bay I seem to recall.

They are certainly better than the stock 10mm and 25mm 3 element eyepieces that come with scopes.

A Skywatcher 32mm Plossl was one of my first purchases with my Heritage 130p and I thought it was a great eyepiece. I've since upgraded to Celestron Ex-Cels (the 25mm has almost as good a FOV) but for the money a 32mm Plossl is a good choice.

At around £20 a pop the shorter SW Plossls are also good value for money. The 4mm is a bit short for eye relief, but perfectly usable provided you don't need to wear glasses. If you need more eye relief then the BST Explorers have a great reputation on here, and I'd assume deservedly so. For planets and high magnification lunar I'd say go for a 4 or 5mm EP, or maybe an 8mm with a Barlow. That would give you more options, the longer one probably supplanting the (okay but not great) stock 10mm EP for most purposes.

Billy

That's great  I have upgraded my economy SW barlow for the SW deluxe (if it really is deluxe) x2 barlow lens  which I was advised would be a better choice so 'll look into a 8mm plossl EP and use the barlow with it after getting my next purchase of a 32mm EP.

I have decided to try the SW UWA Planetary eyepiece 6mm from Wex photography (£35) so waiting for that to be delivered then give it a try and ill let you know how I get on.

I was looking into getting a china clone ultrawide 15mm but not sure now after what John said as my scope is f/6.92 and don't really want that much distortion so may just stick with a normal plossl, probably a celestron Omni has I have been told they are great EPs for the price.

Thanks for the advice looks like ill be getting the whole celestron Omni plossl range now.

Archived