Altair astro RC400

Does anyone here own a 16" Altar Astro RC400? I''m considering an upgrade next year and am currently looking at both this and the Edge HD14" (predominantly for planetary imaging, but also smaller DSO's such as M51.

I know that the Edge has certainly proved itself in the hands of people such as Damian Peach, but I'm keen to see any images taken with the RC400.

Cheers all,

Andrew

The SCT all the way for planetary. The longer focal length and smaller central obstruction is better for planetary. There's no need for the Edge version....that is designed to give a wide flat field which you won't need for planetary imaging.

You'll need excellent seeing to get the best of that aperture though....

Thanks Michael. You are right, the C14 has a smaller secondary (35% or so). The RC is more like 45%. However, because the primary is bigger (16" against 14", I dont think there is much in it - mirror area wise)

Thats food for thought Zakalwe- the saving from an Edge 14" to a (non Edge) C14 could go towards a wider FOV apo or such. Hmmmm....

Archived