NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

eq5 pro goto and autoguiding

Hi All,

Sorry to post this but I am getting myself confused.

I have a eq5 pro mount with syncscan and am thinking of going down the autoguider route. I would only be using a cheap webcam so I am guessing that the st4 autoguider port would be redundant.

When it come to controlling the mount would I need:

The eqdir adapter for eqmod (https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html)

Or as I already have a serial to RS232 that was used for my slt mount could I just get the usb to serial lead as my celestron one is not compatible.

(https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/sky-watcher-synscan-usb-to-serial-rs-232-cable.html)

guide camera usb lead to laptop via phd and the serial/usb from syncscan handset to laptop via eqmod?

Sorry really am struggling to visualise this and all I seemed to come across where example of the neq5/6 not the eq5 pro.

Cheers All,

Spill.

I would go with the Serial to USB I have the EQDirect cable and with windows 10 there is a driver issue that means windows keeps trying to over right the drivers with some it thinks are newer but dont work. Its a pain in the ...

FLO have an explanation of a "fix" on their web page that really only partially works as if you plug it into a different USB it all messes up again.

Thanks for the advice.

I have just dug out the serial to usb and eqmod now seems to work...got lost trying to get stellarium to work and couldn't seem to get stellarium scope to work correctly but sure this is a user issue.

I am on a budget so have my eye on a celestron refractor 90mm to use as a guide scope and willing to give it a go if I can get it cheap enough.

To be really honest I am more than happy with what I am getting without guiding but always find myself wanting to delve further and try to improve things.

Just blame it on the rubbish weather we are getting here..too much time to think.

Archived