Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is the Moon "Off Limits" ?

(Newbie Alert ! :withstupid: )

I'm new to astronomy and decided when looking around that probably the best way to start was with something simple and close.The Moon.

I started looking at scopes and ooing and arring over this and thart but budget and common sence says I set my sights lower to start with.

It struck me after a while that the range of scopes and thier ability to see the moon seem to stop at a certain level.Why is this ? Can a lens required for extremely detailed observation not be made ?

I then realised that all Nasa pics of the moon are at only a certain level of clarity yet they say thave sats that can read a book from orbit ?

The best pics I can find are 40 yrs old and are still from a great distance.

Am I missing something?

If you look under Imaging - Lunar / Solar, you'll see some great images. Have a look for some by Starman.

Mike

PS You have posted this in the wrong section. One of the other moderators will move it at some point.

The bottom line is that bigger scopes show increasing amounts of detail on the Moon. There is not really a point where you stop increasing the detail in the view.

You are correct though to start small. This way you learn how to make the most of your equipment.

Many people seem to think they will not see anything without a gigantic expensive telescope.

Many of these scopes end up on Astrobuysell having never done anything but frustrate their owners!

Just take a look at any astronomy classified section and see how many expensive and large scopes are listed as 'used twice' or 'hardly used'.

The moon has so much detail and we have such poor weather that you could exaust the rest of your life finding more and more detail with even a small scope

Thanks for your replies and sorry for posting in the wrong section.

I look forward to setting up and getting my first views.

I trying desperatly to see also if I am going to able to connect a camera ( Minolta 7i) but clear viewing is my main focus (no pun intended) at the moment.

Thanks for the link above Beamish. :salute:

Archived