NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Fireball this evening

osbourne one-nil

Did anyone else see this? 9.21pm, from the zenith heading down towards the north west and is seemed to have two very short tails with a red tinge to them. Difficult to estimate its brightness but certainly much much brighter than the full moon, even though it was seen against a twilight sky.

First one I've seen in years. 

I saw one one summer when staying near Thurso on the north Scottish coast and this seemed similar. I'd say it lasted about 3 seconds but it came from behind clouds and dropped back behind clouds. It was travelling much slower than a normal meteor. Very exciting!

My girlfriend saw it out of the window when we was watching TV, she jumped off the sofa and said a green thing has just fallen from the sky, I think it landed in the back garden of the house across the road :laugh2::angry7:

I would have needed very good eyes to see it from here, though I have seen two this year, albeit not as large as the one you saw. They are really great to see and give me a thrill. I sometimes wonder if some of them are space junk coming back.

Alan

According to a friend, I was wrong and it would simply have been something from Warcop Firing Range which is nearby. Well, it wasn't and they're an idiot. I can also tell them someone in Halifax saw it too (and then sit down and explain where Halifax is to someone who doesn't know there's a world outside Westmorland).

Wasn't quite like the one that flew over Russia a few years back, but it'll do me. 

Archived