NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lodestar and Windows 10 Tablet

Phisci

Hi everyone, my laptop battery seems fairly limited (will likely replace) and I wanted to check if anyone has run a Lodestar camera and Starlight live software using a Windows 10 based tablet? (Specifically I'm using a Dell based tablet)

It does work however it depends on the screen size and input device imho. From my experience it is quite hard to adjust settings on 8" 720p resolution screen with fingers especially if it is cold ;)
Tested with Venue 8 pro and Venue 10 pro. Both with Intel atom CPU which didn't struggled at all with Starlightlive and SX Lodestar. I do not remember exactly which one but one of them once refused to respond after 30min work at -5C deg. Both tend to have delayed response time at low temperatures.

Hi

Anyone using a Win 10 mini PC such as one of these:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DroidBOX-Wintel-Windows10-Android-Computer/dp/B01IDI95GU/

I'm considering one as a remote PC mounted at the scope running EQMOD & SSL and VNC with an SD card for data capture and my Lodestar - I'm tired of USB extension issues, to my Macbook and I could either run this over WiFi or CAT5 - either way less likely to be affected by USB drop outs as the temperature drops.

Thanks

Paul

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

12 hours ago, DoctorD said:

Hi

Anyone using a Win 10 mini PC such as one of these:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DroidBOX-Wintel-Windows10-Android-Computer/dp/B01IDI95GU/

I'm considering one as a remote PC mounted at the scope running EQMOD & SSL and VNC with an SD card for data capture and my Lodestar - I'm tired of USB extension issues, to my Macbook and I could either run this over WiFi or CAT5 - either way less likely to be affected by USB drop outs as the temperature drops.

Thanks

Paul

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread!

That looks interesting at that price - I occasionally use a Linx 1010b(Windows 10) to run EQMOD VNC SERVER(REALVNC as other versions have problems with rotation - even if locked-last time I looked). It also has the same spec but has 1 less USB port(2 full size usb3 and 1 micro usb which doubles as power port). It works great but I have to use CDC as Stellarium is too heavy on the graphics and falls over too often.  I run either APT/ BYEOS(including plate solver software) or Sharpcap  but don't try using something like Astrotoaster is it kills the speed. Haven't used Paul's great software (yet) so stacking might be too much for the processor.

Once you connect via RealVNC(or others) yours screen can be of any size/resolution but remember that limits the Lan speed and possible the processor on the tablet(busy sending graphics down the LAN) but you can play with settings to get a good response/resolution from a VNC viewer(note only the VNC server needs to be REALVNC - tiny/tight VNC viewers seem to work ok) .

I note that the Driod Box is on back order from Droid UK!!!   Biggest problem ,as always,is power but as the Driod has a power port(5v 4amp) that shouldn't be a problem. My Linx1010B last about 5hrs when not on charge.   I would be interested in how it goes if you get one because , as you say, that would get round most USB problems and its a good price.

P.S. I would go for Wired not Wireless as the latter gives you ultimate speed/throughput for VNC.

I use a Microsoft Surface 3 (quad core Atom processor) and Starlight Live with no problems.  I run two cameras, one using Starlight Live and the other Sharpcap, at the same time.  I use an Ultrastar-C for the main camera and a ZWO ASI185MC in an Orion 50mm Guidescope as an electronic finderscope or for widefield shots.

The Surface 3 has a USB 3.0 port and it's power port is also a mini-USB port.  With an adapter, it can function as a standard USB 2.0 port (for the Ultrastar).  No charging the tablet though if you use it as a USB 2.0.  I wound up mounting a powered USB port on the telescope for hooking everything up so I only had one cord going to the tablet and could still keep the battery of the tablet charged with a jumpstarter battery.

Archived