Eye Pieces for Planetary Viewing?

Dave1

1 hour ago, Roy Challen said:

Can't say I've 'strained' when using ortho/plossl eyepieces either!:icon_biggrin:

These were optically superb but were not as relaxing to use as I'd have liked. Finding and holding that tiny eye lens in darkness with nothing to guide the eye takes some concentration - attention that, you could argue, should be more focussed on the target object perhaps ?:

5mmeps.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Viewing comfort is among top priority in choosing stuffs. For planetary, besides ER, tracking mount and binoviewer add more to the comfort level, in addition to 3D perception provided wtih two eyes.:smiley:

1 hour ago, John said:

These were optically superb but were not as relaxing to use as I'd have liked. Finding and holding that tiny eye lens in darkness with nothing to guide the eye takes some concentration - attention that, you could argue, should be more focussed on the target pobject perhaps ?:

5mmeps.jpg

I certainly agree that not everyone find such eyepieces comfortable to use, especially glasses wearers, and if longer eyerelief eyepieces are available then why not use them. Personally, it doesn't bother me at all, I haven't used the eyepieces in the picture, but I have used a 4mm plossl (Celestron Omni) and a generic 4mm 0.965" ortho, whilst not great EPs they were usable with no discomfort whatsoever (not in my current scopes though), and my current 6mm CZJ  (which is a great eyepiece) is a breeze by comparison.

Finding the eye lens on such EPs is obviously more difficult than on EPs with big lenses, but not that hard really. I find that once on target, my concentration is the same, if not better, as with any EP I have used. The field of view reduces any 'distracting' stars (when planetary viewing), problems with spherical aberration of the exit pupil are non existent in orthos and plossls (in my experience anyway) compared to widefields, and there is no annoying 'ring of fire' which is fairly common on widefields as well.

My previous post in this thread was meant to be slightly tongue-in-cheek:wink:, but I might add that regardless of eyepiece being used, there are methods of reducing any eye fatigue when mono viewing. I use a cheap pair of sunglasses with the right lens pushed out and the left lens painted matte black. Ironically, I use this item when target shooting a lot more than for astronomy, as my rifle scopes' super long eyerelief do cause me eyestrain in daylight use!

38 minutes ago, YKSE said:

Viewing comfort is among top priority in choosing stuffs. For planetary, besides ER, tracking mount and binoviewer add more to the comfort level, in addition to 3D perception provided wtih two eyes.:smiley:

I have already considered the possibility of going the bino route in the future for the reasons mentioned.

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

Eddgie over on CN extols the virtues of using zoom eyepieces during nights of continuously variable seeing.  When the atmosphere settles for a few seconds, he can dial up the power almost instantly to the maximum that seeing conditions allow at that moment, and then dial it back just as quickly when they degrade.

Thanks Louis, I am registered there, just don't post there, not enough time to read two astro forums :) Will go search for the posts.

18 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

On the topic of viewing comfort, I find that building myself an observing chair has increased viewing comfort hugely, even with my set of very comfy EPs.

Absolutely.  Trying to stand while observing is grueling for more than a few minutes.  As an example of trying to remain comfortable even while sitting, I like to extend the center column of my Manfrotto 058B tripod to bring my AT72ED's eyepiece up to a high enough position when viewing near zenith that I don't have to stoop over while sitting at a normal height.  I know it adds settling time to my rig, but it's only an extra second or two, and my back and neck thank me.

I think like everything else in life that is physical, it's a question of conditioning (regarding comfort and observing). I was out last night and I do try and sit when I can (I have an observing stool - fixed height), but some targets require me to stand. I can use my Plössl or new Ortho without any issue. My average viewing time on an object is 15-20 minutes - sometimes more if I'm really absorbed. For standing, I keep my back straight and kind of adjust my height by spreading my legs (while keeping my knees straight). I haven't worn myself out yet! But I've been observing this way for... um... 30+ years now!

Similarly, I ride a mountain bike. When I started out in my early 30's I was rubbish. But even though I'm almost 20 years older now, I am so much faster and better on my bike than before - because of conditioning. I think observing is the same way.

Archived