NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lightbridge

Anubis

Hi,

I'm currently using a Meade ETX80 for casual observing, and have just started trying my luck at astrophotography. I've been looking into buying a Meade 16" Lightbridge, since it is portable (I'm a member of an observing group and we meet up 20 or so miles outside the city)

Would this be any good for astrophotography?

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan,

The Lightbridge will give you fantastic views of the night sky, particularly from a dark site.

Unfortunately, for astrophotography, even with the light grasp of a 16", you need to expose for a long enough time for the rotation of the earth to affect the image. Most imagers use motor driven (usually equatorially mounted) scopes that counteract this motion. I believe you can buy driven platforms for dobsonians, but they are beyond my expertise.

Also, imaging is trickier than you'd imagine and I think short focal length scopes are the place to start, say in the 400mm to 700mm range (I'm guessing the Lighbridge is around 2000mm).

I solved the problem by buying two scopes - one for visual and one for imaging (a SkyWatcher ED80) but invested in a good equatorial mount as well.

You have a tough decision to make.

Mike

I solved the problem by buying two scopes - one for visual and one for imaging.

I like your thinking :shocked:

Joking aside though, its obviously not going to be any good for astrophotography. I think I'll continue to put money by for it and by the time I have enough saved I will have a better idea of which direction I want to go in.

In theory it would be possible, but you would need to modify it with a set of argo navis DSC, a servo cat drive system and a field derotator like the pyxis one. I have seen images taken with Obsession telescopes and they look pretty good!

Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

if u want to get into imaging, then spend most you cash on a mount. You will need to exposure for at least 5 minutes to get a useful signal

The mount is the most important thing.

Next is cameras, DSLR (modded or unmodded), small CCD

I would think it exceptionally difficult to image with an non Equatorial Mounted dob

If u get a set of tube rings, and a light shroud, and an GEM you might get away with it, but 16" F5 is a long focal length to begin with

A small refractor (80mm) would be a good starting place...theyre easy to image with, and place less importance of accurate tracking on your mount

if u want to get into imaging, then spend most you cash on a mount. You will need to exposure for at least 5 minutes to get a useful signal

The mount is the most important thing.

Next is cameras, DSLR (modded or unmodded), small CCD

I would think it exceptionally difficult to image with an non Equatorial Mounted dob

If u get a set of tube rings, and a light shroud, and an GEM you might get away with it, but 16" F5 is a long focal length to begin with

A small refractor (80mm) would be a good starting place...theyre easy to image with, and place less importance of accurate tracking on your mount

Agree about the mount - but there are plenty of great images on this forum done with exposures under 120 secs - 5 minutes is a good thing to aim for but you'll probably need to be autoguiding for that. Roy's M27 is a recent example of an awesome image with 60 secs exposures.

I have an HEQ5 and a 8" reflector I use for imaging - I'm working on the autoguiding bit but at the moment I can get unguided exposures of up to 90 secs. Like Mike says it might be good to have an imaging scope and a viewing scope (mine's a 16" Lightbridge for that).

Sam

with an unmodded DSLR, I have found that 2minute exposures at F/5 very low in signal, due to response. I was imaging NGC7000, and the canon has poor red response.

If u image a planetary which are blue, due to the hot central star, then your exposures can be short because the canons peak response is around the O[iII] line at 500nm

Paul

Archived