NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Very suprising

I've never really realised how bad the sky is in my back garden until tonight. As it's the peak of the perseid meteor shower I decided to take a drive out to the white horse which is actually only a 10 min drive from my house. 

It was so clear I could actually see the milky way (a first for me) and many many meteors, at least 10x more than I've seen in previous years.

Needless to say that I'll be traveling to darker sites alot more often in future.

Oh yeah.... And what an amazing show the skies have put on for us tonight. I'm so glad the forecast was wrong. 

Great stuff - glad you got out there and saw some Perseids.  We had forecast broken cloud here so I was optimistic we'd see something, but the cloud only thickened over the evening, which was a little disappointing.

Dark skies definitely rule!

2 hours ago, Jonk said:

I go up to Swindon a fair amount, and if you travel South for a few miles it certainly is nice and dark.

I've lived here 15 years and never realised how dark it is just a few miles away. Just need to have a scout around during the day to find a nice secluded spot to set up

7 hours ago, Jonk said:

Always good to know where decent spots are. If you contact your local astronomy group, or nearest you should be able to find out where they meet, and maybe go along?

I would but I struggle tremendously in social situations to the point where I freak out and have to leave, no matter who I'm with or how nice they are.

My wife thinks I have asbergers 

Archived