NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WO Megrez 72 vs Zenthistar 71?

Hi All

I'm looking for a smal wide field refractor to use for widefield imaging (RGB + narrowband), solar observation with a Quark, and as a grab-and-go for travel. I'm drawn to the now discontinued WO Megrez 72 for its combination of cost and performance, if I could find one used, but the Zenithstar 71 is more readily available. I've searched for reviews and I'm getting the impression that while the focuser on the ZS is better, there seems to be a suggestion that the Megrez 72 has better control of chromatic aberration. But I've yet to see any review by someone who has used both.

Any opinions on one vs the other would be welcome.

Thanks

Nigel

I have only used the ZS71 but can confirm that the focuser on mine will hold a DSLR with battery grip without any hint of slippage even after several hours, I have also never noticed any blue bloat when imaging with the matching FR/FF.

The problem with these scopes though is quality seems to vary between examples but being a doublet they shouldn't be hard to fix.

Alan

I've recently got a AA Lightwave 72 ED R, I've heard it was almost identical to the WO Megrez 72. Might be worth checking it out. I'm happy with it so far. Tim. 

p.s. available in UK for £370 upwards for a new one. I've posted some pics in the Deep sky imaging forum if you want a look.

4 hours ago, StargeezerTim said:

I've recently got a AA Lightwave 72 ED R, I've heard it was almost identical to the WO Megrez 72. Might be worth checking it out. I'm happy with it so far. Tim. 

p.s. available in UK for £370 upwards for a new one. I've posted some pics in the Deep sky imaging forum if you want a look.

The AA Lightwave 72ED R has the same objective and tube as the Megrez 72 but has a better R&P focusser than the Megrez's crayford. Basically it is a Mergez but better! I cannot comment on a ZS71 versus Megrez 72 I'm afraid or the CA for photography (although I have seen plenty of stunning images with the Meg 72)  but I can recommend the Meg 72 as a great grab and go scope.

Hi Rob, Tim, Alan,

Many thanks for your replies - very useful. I'd not appreciated that the Lightwave 72 was so close to the Megrez 72. It sounds like any of these would work well but perhaps with the AA having a small edge. Lovely image of NGC6888 Tim - that's pretty convincing!

Am snooping around the used column at the moment - it seems Megrez 72's come up once every few months and ZS's similarly, but I may try to argue the case for investment in a new Lightwave. Though I think the memory of my Atik 460ex + EFW2 splurge a couple of months is still quite fresh and am not hopeful...

Thanks again,

Nigel

Archived