Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR lens help

I am looking for a decent quality budget second hand zoom lens for astrophotography. Two choices I have found are the Canon 75-300mm f4.5- 5.6 USM and the Sigma AF 28-300mm f3.5- 6.3 DG. These both cost just under £100. Has anyone used these before or can recomend anything else in this price range? I am wanting to use the lens and camera mounted on my EQ mount with motor drives and tracking to get some wide field shots.

Hi,

I've bought a second hand Canon 75-300mm USM III to do the same on my Synscan Alt-Az mount. The USM is said to be quieter in operation than the IS variety. I paid £78 for an almost pristine lens so a very cost effective entry into piggyback imaging for wide-ish shots of the night sky. Can't give you feedback on use as I'm still waiting for the first night of opportunity. I'm sure others can advise on alternatives.

Best of luck experimenting!

Let us know how you get on?

Cheers,

Steve

Hi,

I used to image with Canon zoom and it does the job well. But  prefer Fixed FL. My favourites are 135 mm ,50 mm and 18 mm. With 135 mm and above , you still can use IDAS LP filters. In future If you intend to use these lens with a CCD camera, Sigmas are are bit difficult to attain Focus. Probably its only a Nanometer. I struggeld and gave away mine. Canon lens goes well with Atik .Two images , first with zoom, second with FDFL.

Hope this helps:), Nice imaging.

CS

Rush

Orion.jpg

H S.jpg

Archived