Simplest alt az mount?

skybadger

Hi

I am thinking of making  a simple alt-az mount as a heavyweight testbed. To that end I was thinking of using  two mondeo rear axle bearings on a right angle plate to do the job. Carry quarter of a ton. Any immediate issues with this? I'm wondering how far I can take the concept and turn it into a precision mount.....

Cheers

Mike

27 minutes ago, skybadger said:

Hi

I am thinking of making  a simple alt-az mount as a heavyweight testbed. To that end I was thinking of using  two mondeo rear axle bearings on a right angle plate to do the job. Carry quarter of a ton. Any immediate issues with this? I'm wondering how far I can take the concept and turn it into a precision mount.....

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike . I am afraid my mind has been diverted away from the mount and onto the scope"carry quarter of a ton". What size scope are you intending to mount on this Diy project ? Please please post a picture as this has my mind in a dizzy. This must be a Big Big scope you are contemplating 

Please put my mind at ease and post a picture, this reminds me of a chap in the states and his cannon was on his front drive and this refractor must  of been getting on for around 18ft long☺ Thanks

post-118-0-98884400-1354841853_thumb.jpg

No reason why it shouldn't work out, the limitations are likely to be your skill level and the facilities needed to manufacture it. Why not leave the Mondeo on as a counterweight, you would have two comfy seats whilst observing with a passenger, you could even make a binoscope, one side each.   :icon_biggrin:

39 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

No reason why it shouldn't work out, the limitations are likely to be your skill level and the facilities needed to manufacture it. Why not leave the Mondeo on as a counterweight, you would have two comfy seats whilst observing with a passenger, you could even make a binoscope, one side each.   :icon_biggrin:

My immediate thought was to a nice leather recliner :icon_biggrin: Good luck with the adventure Mike

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

I rather like this idea.

My thoughts are about the degree of slop in these bearings. For a test rig its not too important, if I want to take it further I guess i'll have to try it out. 

M

Archived