Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

more eyepiece advice....sorry..

ok, i've decided to buy a high power eyepiece for the 6" dob as my 10mm when viewed through the barlow looks very dim.

so i was thinking of either the 6mm celestron omni, or the 8mm celestron xcel.

there's quite a lot of price difference between these two (omni is £27 and xcel is £59)

am i going to notice the difference in quality for the moon, for instance?

or does anybody have any recommendations for a higher power eyepiece.

bearing in mind i'm still a beginner.

thanks...

mike..

A call to FLO would get you some good advice.

You get what you pay for with eyepieces but you need to find ones that suit you - do you want a wide view, do you wear glasses etc. Steve can advise.

Assuming you have the eyepieces that come with the scope, almost anything will be better.

Mike

yes, i got a 25mm celestron elux with scope and i bought a 32mm nextstar and 10mm elux along with an omni barlow. they're all fairly cheap i think.

i don't wear glasses, so i think i'm right in saying i don't need as much eye relief?

I'd go for an TS planetary from modern astronomy they are 50 quid light weight (wont affect balance of your scope ) have a wide field and are generally fantastic!! I have a similar size and length scope to you and I would own more of these if I could.

The celestron exel is prone to 'kidney beaning' as it has a problem with enormous eye relief. This will be worse in a dob where the scope doesn't track and so you won't find the right position to look into the eyepiece.

Archived