Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CG5 GT Mount Advice

Hi All,

Recently picked up a used CG5 GT mount and have noticed that although the RA moves really smoothly by hand the DEC is quite stiff. This inspired me to strip the DEC drive and re-grease ( a bit of an ordeal ) but this doesn't seem to have made a difference. I followed the instructions found on this site but I was wondering if the two should move as smoothly as each other? Am I expecting too much? Don't really know too much about the history of the mount but during the strip down, all appeared well. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers

Hi, I think this is normal for these mounts. Both my past CG5 goto, and AVX mounts were the same. I think they only have 'proper' bearings on the RA,? Then again the Dec axis shouldn't move much at all if well polar alligned, so I can kind of see the logic. 

Archived